thomas dove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thomas dove

hey guys, figured id ask for help with my doves.

the start of the tree is- thomas dove married to ann turnbull on the 28th may 1793, heighington, durham. they both said they were 21, making them born in 1770.

thomas died on the 19 oct 1833, gilling. i cant find ann on the census, or a death record for her either.

their son thomas was born in 1797, summerhouse, and maried in 1834 to elizabeth ward, born in kirby hill/ravensworth in 1813. he died in 1874. elizabeth is on the 1891 census in richmond, newsham, but is missing in 1881. she died in 1892.

i cant find elizabeth or ann on the census after they widowed.can anyone help?

and i cant find the baptisms or marriage (for thomas senior) on the igi, is there another way to try and find baptisms?

Just a quick note......You might find the marriage record says "full age" meaning over 21, so they could have been born before the dates you've mentioned.

I'll have a look around.

Comment

i got the information from googling the dove family. a website came up, but i didn't see any records. im just trying to verify the info, but nothing appears on any website with parish records.

thanx for looking, harry's mum.

Comment

OK.

It's very very unlikely that the marriage record would give their exact age. I've never seen ages given on a pre-1837 marriage (and most of the earlier ones after 1837 don't give ages either). They either say "full age" which means they were 21 or over, or "minor" which means under 21.

Its possible that some of these people are on the census but mistranscribed. It's also possible that Elizabeth remarried but the website you found hasn't bothered to record that as the 2nd husband is not a direct relative of the website compiler.

Parish records, if not on the web on IGI or FreeReg (and if they are they need verifying) are in the relevant county records office and/or local history centres.

The LDS (FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records) have family history centres where you can go and order film of parish registers, if they've been filmed, for a small sum.

Local family history societies may also have done transcribing of registers in their area. They will often provide a search service for a small fee.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Sorry, I see you are in Australia!

Well, I think there are LDS centres there and you could try seeing if the local family history societies over here could help, though you'd probably have to pay more for postage. I expect many of them will do e-mail now though. Worth checking.

Comment

Northumberland and Durham Family History Society

is link to Northumberland & Durham Family History Society
            Scroll down to find a list of their resources by parish, to see if they have the baptism and marriage and burial registers for the places you want.

It looks as though you have to join to use the resources.

Comment

Heighington page from Genuki giving information about the parish registers:

GENUKI - Heighington

Gilling seems to be in Yorkshire, so they must have moved.

Comment

Not sure how or if she fits in, but there is an Ann Dove aged 65 (abt 1776) living in somewhere illegible on census (Marshton, Wharton?) in the Kirkby Ravensworth parish, which is in the hundred (English administrative area) of West Gilling, registration district Richmond. Its possible she is either a daughter or a daughter in law of your Thomas and Ann, and as she says born in county (if that's true) then they must have moved within a few years of their marriage.

Class: HO107; Piece 1246; Book: 13; Civil Parish: Kirkby Ravensworth; County: Yorkshire; Enumeration District: 3; Folio: ; Page: 5

Comment

This appears to be a matching death cert for her, though without age at death, hard to tell:

Ann Dove 1849 Oct-Nov-Dec
                  Richmond Volume: 24 Page: 366

Comment

they do have barnard castle, my westwicks are from there. and they have marriages for heighinton, but so does findmypast.

Comment

This Dove family history website

The Dove Branch

gives the age of 21 as being found on the marriage bonds, so that may well be accurate. It also lists a daughter called Ann, who married, so can't be the lady I found in 1841.

This page of the website
                      Back to Homepage

if you scroll down, has a contact e-mail.

Comment

that's the site i used. and a few trees on ancestry have the same info.

Comment

But maybe the other sites are all copying from the same one? Anything which gives specific places and dates is likely to be more accurate than something that just gives a year and a county or a large place but doesn't specify which parish.

Comment

The Dove website I found does state that the compiler has taken some info from others and has tried to decipher parish registers but could be wrong. This implies she has looked at them!

I can's see a death registration for Elizabeth Dove in 1892.

Comment

Elizabeth is on 1891 census in Washton.

Comment

1881 - mistranscribed!

Elisabeth Dore abt 1815 Kirkby Ravensworth, Yorkshire, England Head Whashton,

Living on her own, a widowed laundress.

Comment

omg!!! thankyou little nell!!! i was thinking it wasn't her because i couldn't find her. im going to use tht spelling in 1901, because the archives have her son and his family, but ancestry doesn't.

ive emailed the dove website, about getting a copy of the dove marriage.
                                  but it does look legit. all their kids are on familysearch except for thomas, who was married to the above mentioned elizabeth.

nell, you legend!!!!:D

Comment

she died sept 1891, age 76. her age matches the 1881 census, and is entirely plausible, considering thomas and she never actually gave the exact year they were born. plus, it's in richmond, yorkshire. i'll eventually get this cert.

Comment

I found her 1891 by looking for Elizabeth without a surname and putting Kirkby Ravensworth in the keyword box.

Comment

i just filled out the search about her son john, filled in everything except the surname.

ancestry's first hit, was john DORL. it was my family. how do you get dorl and dore, from dove?

Comment

Working...
                                        X