History of Northern England.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History of Northern England.

My English geography has improved no end (I know where London is now), but history still has some holes.

Is there a book or website that might tell me the history of Lancashire (and maybe Yorkshire)? I'm interested in pre 1600s, particularly the time of William de Lancaster around the 1100s.

I've googled till I'm blue in the face.

Libby

Have you done British History online?

Also, remember Lancashire is a relatively newish county, only formed round about 1150 (I'll check that).

(Checked - first referred to as a County in 1168.)

Victoria County Histories can also be useful (but not entirely accurate).

OC
    Last edited by Olde Crone Holden; 29-08-08, 12:39.

Comment

I find wikipedia entries to be quite useful as they generally contain quite a few external links.
      Lancashire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      Elaine

Comment

Libby,

have you had a look in our wiki?

England - Family Tree Forum

there could be sites on the individual county pages that give you more information about the detail, and also the actual counties are shown in a map on the individual pages,

Lancashire - Family Tree Forum

Lancashire for example is shown on the county page map in red, where it is in relation to say the rest of England..

hope this helps
        Julie
        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Elaine......I've read most of that, but I'm really looking for some more in depth stuff.

OC.......I'm out of ink till I go shopping tomorrow lol. I'm going round in circles and meeting myself halfway.

1150 is probably early enough lol... I'm just wading through all this info on google books with any mention of the Kirkby family, but it seems to think I know the history of the area and times.

I've got the family in places all over Lancashire (Lancaster) and Yorkshire, so trying to work out a bit about the place.

Comment

Libby

I know what you mean, has taken me many years to get to grips with the complications of Lancashire geography through the ages - and I'm still not sure I have completely grasped it!

I imagine you want to do a sort of time line so you know who was responsible for what and when. I did attempt this but it wasn't a lot of help in the end, only in the most very general sense.

I think you just have to keep on reading whatever you can find and try to make sense of it in its own context and forget the geography!

OC

Comment

OC..
              I'm happy to forget the geography a bit, but I'd like to work out the people. They keep referring to "his kinsman", It makes a change when a Kirkby DOESN'T marry another Kirkby.

This is the sort of thing I'm trying to figure out....

"Isabell married Robert, son of Sir Robert Ogle, a Yorkisr, who was summoned to Parliament as Lord Ogle (love that name), and retained the manors till her death about 1474, though she is said to have sold her right of inheritance in 1434 to Roger Kirkby, Sir Richard's second son.
              Roger was succeeded by a son and heir, Richard, who left sons Henry and Richard. The father, as a Lancastrian was convicted of treason in 1461, the attainder was afterwoods reversed and his estates allowed to his son Henry"

Isabell was the grand daughter of a Roger Kirkby and also a neice to another Roger Kirkby.

I couldn't work out who the treason conviction related to or why.

I'm intrigued by this lot, so probably trying to get info that just is no longer available.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post

I couldn't work out who the treason conviction related to or why.
                Presumably Richard, who was the father of Henry.

In the Wars of the Roses, Lancaster (red rose) was defeated by York (white rose) at the Battle of Towton in 1461 - presumably Richard was involved in the battle.

The Wars went on for years - if I remember rightly, the Lancastrians won eventually.

Some background here:

Wars of the Roses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-08-08, 14:06.

Comment

Richard Kirkby, Gent., killed in battle and later attainted

Richard III - Towton

Comment

Thanks Mary.............I do need to brush up on my history.

If the Lancastrians eventually won (I did know that much lol), then that may have been when the attainder was overturned.

Comment

All you need to remember is "Red Rose bad, White Rose good".
                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Coming from Durham I always think of Lancashire and Yorkshire as South :D I know they are not, but they are to me :D
                        This is a good site and you can click on the various place names to get more information.

Richard III lived from 1452 to 1485 which spanned virtually all of the series of conflicts known as the Wars of the Roses.
                        Last edited by Durham Lady; 29-08-08, 21:33.
                        Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Daphne...that site looks good. I feel I've finally caught grandie's cold (I've tried hard enough lol), so may just sit here and read.

Uncle John.....I don't know if I should follow your thinking with this pedigree. They might come back to haunt.

Comment

Oh, Libby, wasn't that kind of grandie to share it around :(
                            lots of Vit C and drinking honey and lemon in warm water to ward it off. I always take zinc capsules when there's colds around too. Wrap up warm and get plenty of rest.
                            Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                              Uncle John.....I don't know if I should follow your thinking with this pedigree. They might come back to haunt.
                              The nice thing about this site is that you can make a tongue-in-cheek comment and not be jumped on from a great height.
                              Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Oh.

*climbs down from very tall building overlooking UJ's house*

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  Oh.

*climbs down from very tall building overlooking UJ's house*

OC

Down Girl Down!!!!!!!

You never know when we might need to know someone from the other side.

Comment

Libby

LOL! You are ok with a Holden - they divided their alliegances without fear or favour.

I'm just reading about when they dobbed one of the family in, having first, it says "as was the custom, forewarned them" giving them time to make good their escape.

OC

Comment

I'm not sure this lot cared either.....

I've got this Richard fellow dying for Lancaster and John writing a history of Yorkshire. (Was called an 'Inquest' though, so that could mean something).

Off to see what I can find out about Orm and Ailwood (don't ask).

Comment

Working...
                                      X