• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missing Ancestor

removed
    Last edited by Guest; 06-12-08, 12:47.

Hello Peter and welcome to FTF!

Unfortunately, birth registration was not compulsory in 1867, so he may simply not have been registered.

Also, his father may not have been called Henry, just a name conjured up for respectability at marriage.

However, he should be on the 1871 census. Have you followed forward all the George Hoppers to 1901, to see if they have disappeared, regardless of their father's names in the census.

OC

Comment

hi peter
      henry could also have been called harry

have you found any HOPPERs that were greengrocer in 1871 census/

tink
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

I presume the only evidence you have about George's Dad is what is on George's marriage cert?

Its possible that Henry Hopper was a stepfather and Geo. registered under another name. Or that Henry was only one name and his father had others. Or that Henry only became a greengrocer after he'd done something else. I have examples of all these things in my own family tree, so they are quite plausible.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

But as there are no George Hoppers on 1871 census with father Henry, I think you need to rethink a bit.

Could you get George's army record - that would with any luck give exact date of birth and birthplace.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Missing Ancestor

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I have followed through all the census to 1901 and six of the George's still exist.

You say his father may have been called Henry for marriage reasons; but there is a profession mentioned, and he was in the Army.

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter
              Welcome to FTF
              just a thought did George have any brothers or sisters that you know of and may be you could find a birth registration for them and apply for their certificate and that would give you the names of their parents.
              GWEN

Comment

Nell

Kew told me they do not have a George Hopper in their Army records. They referred me to the British Library; but they too have no records.

Peter

Comment

Peter

I have several certificates which name a father and his profession, completely mythical!

Being in the Army doesn't mean anything - no one was ever turned away from the Army because they couldn't prove who their father was. (Commissioned Officers were different of course).

Another point - he may have lied about his age in order to enlist, so perhaps extend your searches.

OC

Comment

Does George have any other christian names can you point us to the census you have found him on?
                    GWEN

Comment

Hi tink

There are no Henry or Harry Hoppers in the census for the George's. There are neither any of the 11 George's born between 1866/69 who have a greengrocer dad.

Peter

Comment

Gwen

George Hopper seems to be the most difficult person in my family tree because I do not know anything about his family. I do not know if he had any other Christian name. I only know that he married in India, served in the British Army, and had a daughter by the name of Marjorie.

Peter

Comment

Well, his dad could be dead by 1871, or not being a greengrocer.

The fact that Henry Hopper was linked with farming is an interesting connection - his father may have been a farmer too, later turned greengrocer. (But not called Henry Hopper!)

OC

Comment

In 1920 a Conductor George Hopper was appointed Asst. Commy. (Commissary?) with the rank of Lieutenant in the Indian Army, but that doesn't get us any further.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 29-08-08, 12:22.

Comment

I suppose you've looked at the overseas births on FindmyPast or FamilyRelatives?

And the Fibis site?

In the Indian Mutiny Medal Roll (British Forces) 1857-1859 there's a Henry Hopper who was a private in the 14th Light Dragoons:

Frontis - The Archive Publishing System

Might be worth following up in case he was in the army before retiring and taking up greengrocering.

Comment

The following is probably too early for you though interesting enough to possibly check out for an earlier ancestor or even maybe the same Henry Hopper referred to above by Mary in Italy:

Found on the IGI an Elizabeth Hopper born to a Henry Hopper and Sarah 22 October 1822 at Berhanpur West Bengal India.

The one problem with Indian BMD as far as the British are concerned is that only two areas are on the IGI, that of Bengal and one other, which I think may be Madras but not too sure about that, so if born elsewhere in India you are going to have to get in touch with India and see what they can offer you unless they were on the Oveseas Index.

Janet

Comment

There are more records on the Fibis site and the India Office site, but I haven't found anything else useful there.

FIBIS - Families In British India Society

India Office Family History Search

Comment

Mary

I have checked out all the sites you mentioned, and even wrote to the Overseas Section of GRO. Nobody seems to have any information. The only information that looks positive is the 1812 Army Quarterly List which has a George Hopper who seems to fit in with the one I am looking for; but how does one view the actual list to see all the details?

Peter

Comment

No idea, but I should think it's at Kew. If you're in touch with Kevin Asplin, he should know.

Shouldn't that be 1912, though?

Comment

Mary

You are right, it sholud be 1912. I have written a letter to Mr. Asplin asking for help. Will keep you posted about the outcome.

Peter

Comment

Working...
                                        X