• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what an unfortunate name !!!!

From Ancestry

Oatcaise Bonkin

on a marriage for 1846 , what a name

That must be a mistranscription - surely?!!

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

I didnt look any further so dont know !! but suppose it could be

Comment

I was looking for someone the other day - she wanted a Catchpole in a small Norfolk village - pmsl there was a Natchpole Catchpole listed on the census - honest there was.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          I didnt look any further so dont know !! but suppose it could be
          I looked at the image ... it's a typed one and is correct !
          ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Oatcaise Bonkin, poor child with a name like that!

]

Comment

and yet someone was prepared to marry him!

As he only appears in marriage index he must be a mistake - but can't think what for1
              off to check 1851 census!
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Can't see him. This is where it would be good if you could see the original handwritten indexes instead of the typed ones.

Comment

Oh dear. Whilst looking for Oatcaise I found a Fanny Bonkin! Sounds like something from a Carry On film!

Comment

Tee hee ... Betty Bonker !!! :D
                    ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Can't see him. This is where it would be good if you could see the original handwritten indexes instead of the typed ones.
                      You can view the handwritten image, and it still looks like Oatcaise Bonkin.

Comment

cant stop laughing what mother would call her child that lol brenda xxx

Comment

Mary

How?

Comment

When you click on the spectacles in FreeBMD it takes you to 3 scans. The first one's wrong (it's a different name), the second is the handwritten version, and the third is presumably the typewritten one (I didn't look at it).

Comment

So either this chap is called Oatcaise and all other records of him are wrong. Or the index was wrongly made up originally, which I think is more likely. A google search has just one hit - this thread!

Comment

The GRO will not have the slightest inclination to correct the index. If anyone does discover the correct name, the only way to guide others is to leave a Postem on FreeBMD, because they insist on transcribing what the GRO index says, even if it's wrong.
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I don't suppose the GRO will correct the index. I just wondered if the original handwritten one had been misinterpreted at the time it was typed up, and that I might be able to see what it actually was.

It looks clearly like Oatcaise but as this marriage is the only instance in which this name appears its probably wrong.

I just can't work out if it was a hearing or a writing error. What could Oatcaise look or sound like?

Horace?

Comment

and not at all sure about Bonkin either!

Comment

Did anyone manage to find him using the names of the possible wives ?

I had a brief look on 1851 & 1861 but nothing was apparent

Marianne
                                      Anne
                                      Sarah
                                      Eliza

some of the Bonks were interesting :D

I was doing BON*** as a surname and trying a similar search with just first names .... (first 3 letters and nothing else)
                                      Last edited by Rachel Scand; 29-08-08, 21:03.

Comment

I have been trying to see which one he married from those 4 to see if I can find them on the 1851 or 1861 census but cannot find him with either of those 4 ?????

Comment

Working...
                                        X