Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy Questions

Hi Everyone,;)
    New to the FTF and my first posting.Been 'doing' my family tree for a few years so I've been around a bit!.
    I've a couple of questions about Legacy 7 & Genesreunited.
    First in Legacy I just want to create a Gedcom file to upload to GR with just my mothers line, I want to cut out my fathers(?)line but I don't want to delete it from Legacy.I've done it before but at the moment its driving me mad trying to do it. Everytime I do 'Individual & Ancestors it includes my fathers line.
    I've been on Genesreunited since 2003 and I've uploaded my tree a number of times but in the last few days it picks someone from the depths of my tree to be the owner. So far I've had 3 different people as the owner, but funny enough they are people that are on a twig at the end of a branch. I've had to search my tree to see who they are.Since 2003 I have been the owner on GR but not now, if I delete the tree a number of times and the selected person is the one left not me.
    Regards
    Jim
    Gloucestershire

Hi Jim,
    Welcome to FTF - hope you enjoy it here.

I am not a Legacy user, so cannot help directly with your query, but thought you might like to know we have quite a lot of Legacy hints and tips in our wiki (Reference Library).

Click on the words The Wiki on the blue navigation bar, and select the first option - Wiki Main Page.

In the search box type the word Legacy and select GO.
    You will then be taken to our Legacy page - and if you scroll down you will see
    Family Tree Forum - Legacy HOWTOs
    - one of which is Creating a GEDCOM for a partial tree

Hope this helps. If not just come back to this thread, ask again and wait for a Legacy expert to turn up!

Not sure about the GR problem - but I am sure someone will be able to advise.
    Elaine

Comment

Hello Jim and welcome to site ;;
      I dont know if Legacy works the same as FTM but this is what was told to me yesterday
      by Tom

In FTM you can select that you want to export selected individuals only. You can then choose the people one by one, or click on someone and say "descendents of" or "ancestors of" and they will all be included.

I *think* where you click the descendents of, it also adds in the spouce of the descendents.

Tom

Comment

Hi Jim,
        If you go into the Help section on Legacy 7 to Exporting GEDCOM Files -it give you the info there - one of the ways is to create a Focus Group and that will only export whatever is in that group (see under the Help for Focus Groups for more info on that). You can do most things you want but it sometimes take a bit of fiddling!
        Marion
        There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

Jim,

You can also tag the individual records with a tag number and export them. You can tag a selected family which will include the spouse and all the children from the individual and their spouse(s) this should work to get your dads side out.

Comment

Hi,
            Thank you for the replies.Firstly I contacted GR and they made me the owner of the tree, so that solved that. Looking at the forums on GR other people had the same problem. The Legacy problem firstly I backed up my tree, I then unlinked my Dad from my mother then did a Gedcom file. I viewed the file in Gedcom Viewer, decided it was ok and uploaded it to GR. I've now linked them again.
            The reason for the 'Dad' unlinking is that a person who was in Burma all of 1944 can't be the father of a child born February 1945. Although I've known this for years its just my little bit of a rebellion :p for not being told, and I'm not looking at his side of the family anymore. I've been on the family tree for years and it makes you think about things, and the sad thing for me and my family is that we are not who we think we are. The time has gone to finding out who my father was, I think its now impossible.:(
            That's my computer problems solved, so onward with the tree.
            Regards
            Jim

Anyone need help in Gloucestershire & Wiltshire for headstones etc let me know.

Comment

Glad you have sorted the problems Jim.

I see you have made an offer at the bottom of your post for Gloucestershire and Wiltshire headstones. I wonder if you know about one of our current projects which is providing copyright free images of churches. If you feel you can help in any way, then perhaps you could offer your services on the region 8 discussion thread on our Regional Projects forum - this region covers Wilts & Glouc.
              Region 08 : Southern : Discussion thread

.. and while you have a GEDCOM file at hand, have you thought about uploading it to Famiy Tree Forum. We have a names database where members can search for others researching the same names. Click on GEDCOM on the blue navigation bar, scroll down to bottom and upload file there. If you need any help, or are not sure what to do, then just ask. The upload will automatically delete any people who were born within the last 100 years for whom there is no death date. It is just another way of hopefully finding a fellow researcher.

These threads might be of help to you.
              How to upload a GEDCOM
              How to search the GEDCOM
              Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 29-08-08, 08:48.
              Elaine

Comment

Hi Jim - just wanted to say welcome to FTF.

I'm a Legacy user but haven't upgraded to Version 7 yet.

Thank you for offering help with Wiltshire headstones. Unfortunately, I suspect mine were too poor to have had them, but I shall be keeping my fingers crossed that you decide you would like to participate in the regional project of photographing places of worship in Wiltshire.
                Gillian
                User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I uploaded my Gedcom file & joined the Region 8 thread.
                  Jim

Comment

Ooh - thanks Jim. Great to see we have recruited another photographer!
                    Elaine

Comment

Working...
                    X