Irish Surname Help Please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Surname Help Please!

Can anbody make sense of the mother's surname please?

teresa

You have a slight problem here Teresa!!

The first letter could well be an 'R'
    the last few letters look as though they are 'rron' but what the squiggles are in between is anyone's guess. Are you able to access any census to look around the village/town to see if that may help with similar names? I have found in the past that doing that could often turn up a name or two to chose from. I've just noticed it was 1904, so maybe looking through the 1891 might help if you know the area they came from.

Comment

Looks like Reorron, but can't get that to look like any name I've seen before, and I've got a few odd Irish ones.

Comment

It reminds me of Reardon, although there doesn't appear to be a "d" in it. But Reardon/Riordan/O'Riordan is an Irish name. Could it be Rearson? According to the IFHF sites (Irish Genealogy Search for Ireland), Rearson is a variant of Reardon/O'Riordan, etc. (although it doesn't bring up any matches when searching for the exact spelling Rearson).

The first letter looks more swirly than the other "R"s on the certificate though, so I wonder if it might be a "D" like in the registrar's name (Duran?) or a "K" like at the end of Patrick.
        The IFHF sites list Keoran as a possible variant of Kieran, and Kearson as a possible variant of Carson (but again no actual matches in the records for the spelling Kearson, and only one for the spelling Keoran).
        Sarah

Comment

Is it "Rebrron"?

I'm sure there is someone on TV with a surname like that.
          Elizabeth
          Research Interests:
          England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
          Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks for all of your suggestions.

The first letter is very much like the K in Patrick so it could well be Keoron or Kieran.

The writing on a lot of the Irish certificates that I have are really bad and their spelling is a lot to be desired of too..even on the 1911 Dublin census!

Perhaps if I can find somebody who has access to the 1901 Dublin census I might be able to find out some more info....but if they lived in tenements...no chance.

I can't find them on the 1911 Dublin City census so this one will have to go on the back burner for now, until more of the Census is put on line.

The certificate relates to John Joseph Russell who came over to England from Dublin, probably in the 1920's as did his wife Emily aka Amy and they married in London (I have their marriage cert).
            teresa

Comment

I'd say that it says Keorron as the K is very similar to the K in Patrick, and the E and O are same as others, I did think it might be a weird spelling of Curran? but am probably way off the mark..........
              Julie
              They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

julia russall ,one under it looks like robertson,robinson ?brenda xxx
                Last edited by Guest; 28-08-08, 14:40.

Comment

I have looked and it is difficult but how about:

Keon/Keown/Keggan/Kerrane/Kerons
                  Rolston/Roulston/Rossitor/Riordon

Failing all these, then try the following websitre for all Irish surnames.

Irish Surnames

Janet
                  Last edited by Janet; 28-08-08, 17:32.

Comment

Hiya....

Could it be.... as Cloggie said.... Reardon??

There was a Julie Reardon who married a Patrick Russell and they had a child born in 1904.
                    Last edited by BigShaz McCreadie; 28-08-08, 17:23.
                    With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

Thanks peeps......You lot are brilliant!

Shaz's find looks very promising!
                      teresa

Comment

Glad I was able to help!!

Hope it is the correct person but as you say it does look promising

Comment

Thanks everyone...You're all brilliant!
                          teresa

Comment

Shaz

Just to let you know that I tried to contact the person who's 'archive' posting you found...no luck in contact her so I posted a message on ancestry.com's boards....and Shelaugh has contacted me!

The 2nd child, born in 1904, was indeed John Russell and his mother's names was Julia Reordon.

Just waiting to hear from her direct so we can swap certificates...and perhaps some photo's as I have one of John with my aunt Maureen and other family members.

What a fantastic result!

I can't thank you enough for finding that archived thread...and my second cousin once removed will be thrilled to bits too.

I owe you a drink me thinks!
                            teresa

Comment

do you know of other siblings?
                              maybe you can get their births, it might be clearer on another cert;)

Comment

Awww thats fantastic news Teresa

I'm so glad I was able to help and that you finally managed to get contact with Shelaugh

Comment

Looks like Keorron to me so I googled it... found your similar post on Dublin forum? Someone does give a location of the address in case you missed it.
                                  John

Brick wall in Ireland demolished after 25 years! Looking for any more Carrolls of Stradbally Parish, Waterford in particular Thomas Carroll b1861 married Bridget Leavy 1896 in QLD Australia..chipping away!

Comment

Thanks John,

Yes, I have seen it.

I post messages everywhere I can and it seems to bring in the results..sometimes.

So it makes it all worth while..... when you finally get a good result!

NEVER give up searching.... I say
                                    teresa

Comment

looking closely,it looks like REARDON..

don't think its a quare spelling of Curran....that's my husbands' family name,and I think I've seen just about every spelling of it!lol

Elaine

Comment

Very difficult but could be Rearson or Reardon.
                                        Best wishes, Polly

Begley - St Helens & Liverpool & somewhere in Ireland; Foster - Liverpool & Yorkshire (Ripon & Leeds); Pendleton - Huyton & Liverpool; Milnes - Leeds & Ripon; Banister - Preston; Wales - Liverpool & Cumberland; Ireland - Prescot; McDonough - Liverpool; Quirk - Liverpool; Hunt - St Helens; Tickle - St Helens

Comment

Working...
                                        X