Dr Barnardo/home children question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Barnardo/home children question

Does anyone know if there are any online archives for Dr Barnardo? My great grandmother was sent to Canada through him, though she was not an orphan, just homeless living on the street with her mother. She went through an awful time and never saw her mother again. But, if she hadn't come over, I wouldn't be here. I'd like to find what kind of info on her they might have.

Thanks
    Debbie

Hi
    My cousin got some papers for his paternal side from Dr Barnados. Their records are kept at Liverpool I believe. If you don't get an answer to the query, pm me and I will email him when he gets back from hols in a week.
    Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Thanks

Comment

My father born 1924 was put into a Cottage Home. Before this happened the social workers were involved and I managed to get some of his records from the Kent archives. The archives in the Midlands would not let me have them but said that they did keep the records.
        There my be some records about your mother before Barnados got involved.
        Jeanie
        If it's to be, it's up to me.
        Searching for:
        English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

How would I get a hold of records? Would there be records back to about 1889?

Comment

I know that a couple of people on here have an interest in this subject. This is the Wiki link which may be of help.

British Home Children - Family Tree Forum

Jackie
            Jackie

Comment

I knew that my father was in the home in Kent so I contacted the archivist who was very helpful and sent me a copy of the register. This showed he had been in a home in the Midlands so I contacted them but they wanted a letter from my father and he did not want to go any further.
              I later found out that my grandmother had been put into a mental hospital which my father was trying to keep from me.
              If it's to be, it's up to me.
              Searching for:
              English: Brewerton, Wilkes, Edwards, Broughton, Piercy, Brundred, Homer, Parry, Wynn, Nock, Noden, Standley and Taylor.

Scottish: McDougall,Gemmell, Hunter, Stewart, Campbell, Downs, Galt, Frew, Hill, Hand, Main, Thomson, McLarty and Murdock.

Comment

I contacted them and got 3 wonderful photos of the girls , and quite a bit of information.
                This is the address I wrote to
                Barnados
                Making Connections
                Cottage 4
                Tanners Lane
                Barkingside Ilford
                Essex
                IG6 1QG
                good luck

Comment

Hi
                  got reply from my cousin and he gives details that Val has given.
                  Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

i also looked at some pictures of some dr barnardo,s google dr barnardo,s homes england
                    brenda xxxi will look and see if i have it in my fav and send it to you ,as 3 of my sisters were in there for 3 years but wont give me anything on them.x

Comment

debbie look here Dr Barnardo Homepage

see what it tells you brenda xxx

Comment

I got a file of stuff about my father from Barnardos, but it cost £35 for them to check that he'd definitely been with them, and a further £65 for them to collect all the info together into a file to send me. And a long, anxious wait. :o

But it was worth it for the details, and the lovely photos.

Good luck,

Bee.
                        Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
                        COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Working...
                        X