Poor Law index

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor Law index

does anyone know, or enlighten me as to what this is please... I guess it is something to do with workhouse records?

LEICESTERSHIRE & RUTLAND
    POOR LAW INDEX 1598-1940’S..

ta muchly...
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Settlement examinations - finding out where people came from
    Removal orders - sending them back where they came from
    Bastardy bonds - old form of CSA
    etc etc etc

As they are going right up to 1900s, they may have some workhouse records as well. You rarely get all the records for every village surviving, but it's a glorious bran tub for researchers. And a reflection on just how tough life was for so many of our ancestors.

NB You may even get lists of those who paid the poor rate, indexes from vestry minutes etc.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

ahhh right,

Thanks Brenda

I'm wondering if its worth getting, or might I be better just going to the RO in question and having a nosey?????
      Last edited by Darksecretz; 27-08-08, 20:23.
      Julie

Comment

They ought to be able to tell you what records they cover. A certain local society has an index, but they've only looked at rural records, nothing for the urban poor. You can make a judgement, based on whether the coverage is what you want.

I'm never going to forget the glee of an elderly researcher, discovering that his Surrey ancestors had actually come from Berkshire in the early 1700s, something he wouldn't have found elsewhere.

The odds are that the record office will have a copy, and will suggest you look at it anyway before ordering documents on spec.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

thanks Brenda,

This is all pretty much a new area for me to be in, am quite comfy with the census and BMD index but pre civ reg is pretty much a new ball game really,

and trying to remember what bit of info can be found from where as well is also abit of a stumbling block, but I am getting there and trying not to forget too much
          Julie

Comment

Dark, have PM'd you
            Janexxx
            To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Comment

Thanks Jane,

Have pm'd you back
              Julie

Comment

Depending which records have survived for a particular parish (and which have been indexed/catalogued), you may also find records of payments naming individuals who received or provided parish relief - e.g., "Paid to Mary Bloggs, 2 shillings, for looking after Widow Jones who is bedridden".

If you do an A2A search on the name of a particular parish and the word Poor (I think you need to use a + sign for an AND search), you should get some idea of what records may exist for what years - if you're really lucky, the catalogue entry may even give you names.

Good luck -

Tim
                "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Hi there, we went to the Leicester Records Office last time we were in the UK, specifically to look at the Poor Laws, and found it a rewarding experience. We found what we were looking for - and more, so it would be well worth a visit to the RO in question, just to ascertain exactly what they have. Cheers Val

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian Cousin View Post
                    Depending which records have survived for a particular parish (and which have been indexed/catalogued), you may also find records of payments naming individuals who received or provided parish relief - e.g., "Paid to Mary Bloggs, 2 shillings, for looking after Widow Jones who is bedridden".

If you do an A2A search on the name of a particular parish and the word Poor (I think you need to use a + sign for an AND search), you should get some idea of what records may exist for what years - if you're really lucky, the catalogue entry may even give you names.

Good luck -

Tim
                    Ahhh thanks alot Tim, thank heavens it isnt searching TNA cos I really cannot get my head around that site.

Originally posted by Val and George View Post
                    Hi there, we went to the Leicester Records Office last time we were in the UK, specifically to look at the Poor Laws, and found it a rewarding experience. We found what we were looking for - and more, so it would be well worth a visit to the RO in question, just to ascertain exactly what they have. Cheers Val
                    Brilliant Val,

Thanks alot, it IS Leicester RO I will be going to as well, I have found them to be very helpful and also want to be having a look at the Melton Mowbray Workhouse records and see if I can get some extra info.
                    Julie

Comment

They have quite a good card index for Poor Law stuff, which includes settlement/removal orders and apprenticeships. The CD presumably has all the names indexed, but I don't think it includes copies of the actual documents, which you will find at the RO.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                        They have quite a good card index for Poor Law stuff, which includes settlement/removal orders and apprenticeships. The CD presumably has all the names indexed, but I don't think it includes copies of the actual documents, which you will find at the RO.

Lovely Mary,

I guess that I have to pre order stuff?? I dont know much about it I have only been a few times there, and havent been brave enough (yet) to have anything out the other rooms other than the main room where the fische readers are.
                        Julie

Comment

No, last time I went, I found something I was interested in in the Poor Law card index, and they brought the documents up for me while I was there, and photocopied them for me. The index isn't online as far as I know, and I don't have the CD, so I couldn't have pre-ordered them.

If you go into the room that leads off the one with the fiche readers, there are people at the desk who are very helpful; they'll explain where to find things, and bring anything you need up from the strongroom for you.

That's where the workhouse registers are. I'm afraid they're a pain to look through (very time consuming), because they're not indexed.

There's a card index with Leics. wills in the room with the fiche readers, if you're interested (the wills are on fiche).

Comment

Ahhh right,

think I might be brave enough to have a look when I next go :D

I'm primarily after a death that I think would have taken place IN the workhouse, and also to see if my gt gran actually spent all of her early years in the workhouse. I dont suppose you know IF the workhouse at Melton had its own burial ground? I know some did, but not sure about Melton.
                            Julie

Comment

No, sorry, I don't know anything about the Melton area.

I've had a quick look at the entry on www.workhouses.org.uk - The Workhouse Web Site , but it doesn't say.

These are the Melton workhouse records held at Wigston, according to that site:

The Record Office for Leicestershire, Leicester and Rutland, Long Street, Wigston Magna, Leicester, LE18 2AH. Holdings include: Guardians' minutes (1855-8, 1927-30); Births register (1836-1913, with gaps); Deaths (1836-47); Creed registers (1877-1931); Admissions and discharges (1924-27); etc.
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 28-08-08, 23:04.

Comment

hmmn thanks Mary,

I don't think then that they will be able to help me then, I think she died after 1851 but before 1861 as I think that we have found her daughter (thanks Elaine) in the workhouse still in 1861, but minus her mum.

Have exhausted other possibilities for her.. so I just dont know where else to look.
                                Julie

Comment

Try e-mailing Wigston to ask which records they have for Melton Workhouse, in case they have anything not listed on the workhouse site.

They certainly hold later death records for Leicester workhouse, but it seems unlikely that the mother would have ended up there without the daughter.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    Try e-mailing Wigston to ask which records they have for Melton Workhouse, in case they have anything not listed on the workhouse site.

They certainly hold later death records for Leicester workhouse, but it seems unlikely that the mother would have ended up there without the daughter.
                                    yea I will do Mary,

I know that Mary and her daughters were on the 1851 cens in MM W/H and Fanny was born there in 1847 MM W/H that is. (in the 1861 marys sisters were in service) but I cannot find Mary at all in the 1861 cens just a ref of FR in the workhouse, so am abit stumped really.
                                    Julie

Comment

What's her surname?

Comment

Robinson....

I had a thread on here yesterday "can anyone find fanny" or some such title it had...

thats the one...
                                        Julie

Comment

Working...
                                        X