Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text-speak is alive and well in the 18th century!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Text-speak is alive and well in the 18th century!

I'm transcribing a Chancery case. I have come across numerous abbreviations:

messes - messuages
    heredits - heriditaments
    premes - premises
    Complt - complainant
    sit - situate
    afsd - aforesaid
    Est - estate
    Indres - Indentures
    Testor - Testator
    Coy - County
    bror - brother
    rect - receipt
    Defts - Defendants
    wod - would
    togr - together

The last letter of these words is often written as a superscript.

This is just from one page! There are many more.

Perhaps we could compile a Glossary for the Wiki.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

It's a great idea to put a glossary in the Wiki, but the problem is that computer typefaces (and typewriters for that matter) can't reproduce many of the marks of abbreviation. A common example is that one often sees a transcription of pish for parish which doesn't show that the p has a line through its descender indicating that it it stands for par or per. This problem gets worse the further back you go - take the Domesday Book for example.

There is a book by C. T. Martin called "The Record Interpreter" which gives lists of Latin and (Norman) French abbreviations. Originally published in 1910, but Kohler & Coombes produced a reprint in 1976 which might be available secondhand.

I don't know of any similar book which deals with English abbreviations though. Does anyone know of one?

Roger

Comment

Roger, would it be possible to upload through Photobucket examples of words we have found?

I have lots of wills etc. If we can upload photos of POWs I expect we can manage text, using a Macro function on the camera.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Sorry, I don't know the answer to that question, one for the IT experts I think.
        Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 27-08-08, 22:35.

Comment

Good luck to you Elizabeth!

Comment

Yes, I've noticed some text-speak in the Bible. What does 'Lo' mean?
            Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

Working...
            X