Proc & (asst)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proc & (asst)

Does anyone know what this occupation is ? 1891 census,possibly to do with ship building on the Clyde..
    Looking for: Jeary,Murton,Minall and Polley...

can we look at the actual page please?

What is the RG No.
    Jess

Comment

Originally posted by Jessbowbag View Post
      can we look at the actual page please?

What is the RG No.
      Source Citation: Parish: Glasgow Barony; ED: 29; Page: 13; Line: 3; Roll: CSSCT1891_282; Year: 1841.

Source Information:
      Ancestry.com. 1891 Scotland Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: The Generations Network, Inc., 2007. Original data: Scotland. 1891 Scotland Census. Reels 1-409. General Register Office for Scotland, Edinburgh, Scotland.

Description:
      The 1891 Census for Scotland was taken on the night of 5/6 April 1891. The following information was requested: place, name, relationship to head of family, marital status, age, gender, profession, birthplace, and whether blind, deaf,

Is this it?

Comment

A name and age would help as well. The ref you gave produced 24 people, none of them with these occupations. Seems to be Clyde Street Glasgow, so there's several boiler makers. And is it 1891 or 1841?
        Last edited by Uncle John; 27-08-08, 19:31.
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Polly, have you looked at the actual census image on Scotland's People or just the transcription on ancestry? I'm sorry to say that the transcriptions of occupations on ancestry can be way out!
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Procurer?

Grocer's Assistant?
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Think the name Polys on about is Polley ???
              borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Sorry,didn't notice this,,

Alexander Polly born in Ireland 1840.1891 Scottish Census.
                6 Stanhope Place .Glasgow Barony.

Just seemed an odd occupation.

Comment

I don't get to look at the actual image on ancestry but the transcription says he is a boilermaker. I can't see the other thing you are referring to!

Alexander Polly, 6 stanhope Place, boilermaker
                  Also in family are Jane, Alex, Mary June, Robert c, and Sarah Polly.

Anne

Comment

Originally posted by Anne in Carlisle View Post
                    I don't get to look at the actual image on ancestry but the transcription says he is a boilermaker. I can't see the other thing you are referring to!

Alexander Polly, 6 stanhope Place, boilermaker
                    Also in family are Jane, Alex, Mary June, Robert c, and Sarah Polly.

Anne
                    Thank you,,Very odd.The rest of the names are the same..Must be an error,boiler maker sounds right.I was looking at the Ancestry census..

Thank you everyone..

Now,if I can just crack my Alexander McKenzie,I'll be happy but no chance of him turning up...
                    No information,just a name.

Comment

The occupation you refer to, Proc & (Asst) is given by Ancestry in their transcription of the entry for Alex Polly aged 23, in the same household as your Alexander. As it is a transcripton I wonder whether the original was actually Grocers Asst or something similar?
                      Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                        The occupation you refer to, Proc & (Asst) is given by Ancestry in their transcription of the entry for Alex Polly aged 23, in the same household as your Alexander. As it is a transcripton I wonder whether the original was actually Grocers Asst or something similar?
                        I got father and son mixed up...:o

That was suggested earlier.In the census in 1881 he was a message boy,so that follows on to that..

Thank you..

Comment

Working...
                        X