Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice re missing marriage in Dulverton, Somerset

Could I just run this by you.

Samuel BRYANT married to Hannah. He was born about 1823 in Dulverton. His bride was born about 1828 in Molland, Devon. Dulverton was in Devon in those days but now in Somerset.

Dulverton records are on line and I have all that they can give me on this line of Bryants. However marriages stop at 1837.

Free BMD Dulverton go up to 1837 and resume from 1855-1936.

Ancestry BMD reveals nothing. IGI there is a submitted entry for Samuel Bryant and Hannah Bryant 1850 Marriage Dulverton.

Their first child was born in Dulverton about 1850. Subsequent chl born Bampton, Molland (Devon) and last in Dulverton 1863.

Should I e mail the Somerset Record Office to try and track the marriages in missing period?

Thanks for any thoughts (remember I am still a novice so be gentle with me )
    Liz

When you say that Ancestry BMD reveals nothing, have you checked the complete index or just the partial index?
    Elaine

Comment

.. and do you have the birth certificate of any of the children, to give you the mother's maiden name?
      Elaine

Comment

There's a Samuel Bryant Q3 1850 Huddersfield
        and 1849 Q3 Bristol

Also a Samuel Briant 1850 Q4......I think it's Sth Molton. Not a good image.

Checked 1848,49 and 50.

Comment

The South Molton is a good bet as that is the registration district for Molland, where Hannah was born.
          Elaine

Comment

And I thought it was Yorkshire lol.

Comment

Well done Libby!

Marriages Dec 1850 (freeBMD)
              BRIANT Samuel
              Melluish Hannah
              S Molton 10 343

1851 census shows household members of
              Hannah Bryant age 23
              Samuel Bryant age 23
              Elizabeth Muelish age 63
              John Muelish age 27
              James Stone age 6

HO107; Piece: 1891; Folio: 43; Page: 10

Have been trying to find the Muelish family on 1841 - will try Melluish!
              Elaine

Comment

Just found the Hannah Mellhuish. My sil was a Mellhuish. It is the hardest name I've come across on the census, even finding them as Felelkniol????

Comment

OMG!!!! You wonderful lot! That blinkin IGI submitted entry threw me with Dulverton.

Just rushing off to check what I have for 1851 for Samuel...back soon.

UPDATE: Yes, I had that one and because the Muelish lot were called lodgers I didn't twig. I have the 1861 census and then after that they are coal mining in Pontypridd.
                  Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 27-08-08, 11:38.
                  Liz

Comment

Struggling to find Elizabeth Melluish on 1841.
                    Elaine

Comment

Just popping onto IGI for Hannah's family...

UPDATE: Found Hannah Melluish Chri on Batch Nos:

16 MAR 1828 Molland, Devon

Father: JOHN MELHUISH
                      Mother: BETTY

Here are what seem to be her sibs. Only others on there are in 17th century:

HANNAH MELHUISH Chr16/3/1828 Molland, Devon
                      Father: JOHN MELHUISH Mother: BETTY

JOHN Chr 5/1/1823 Molland
                      Father: JOHN MELUISH Mother: ELIZABETH

JANE MELHUISH Chr 14/4/1825 Molland
                      Father: JOHN MELHUISH Mother: ELIZABETH

WILLIAM MELLUISH Chr 25/6/1820 Molland
                      Father: JOHN MELLUISH Mother: ELIZABETH
                      Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 27-08-08, 11:55.
                      Liz

Comment

That seems to fit reasonably well with the 1851 census - although John's age it a little bit out.
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine...going to have some lunch...all this excitement. Have to go out for pm.
                          Liz

Comment

Back now...just going to run some of these variations in spelling on Ancestry to see if can find Hannah's family 1841 onwards in census.

Melhuish, Muelish, Meluish, Melluish, Melhuishe which are on census and IGI so far.

Thanks again for giving me a new vein to mine...
                            Liz

Comment

1841 - bit of a long shot here - someone else have a gander please

Source Citation: Class: HO107; Piece 235; Book: 1; Civil Parish: Molland; County: Devon; Enumeration District: 10; Folio: 7; Page: 10; Line: 18; GSU roll: 241317.
                              Jess

Comment

Poss Hannah's brother (from IGI): I have found a William Melluish b1821 Devon in 1841 census serving in what looks like Royal Marine Barracks, Stonehouse. There is a William in BMD Death in 1843 - if it is him might explain why doesn't come up again. Haven't tried all the variations on spelling.

Just looking at your link Jess.

UPDATE: On image 5 of 7 there is a Betty and John Melish and dau Hannah b1829. Reckon that is them! Transcribed as:

Mo - Betty McLeish

Well done Jess. On same page are Kingdom family. Have you seen the doc. on BBC about Johnny Kingdom who comes from that part of the world and is eccentric but passionate about the countryside etc.? They would have had accents like his.

Neighbours of theirs in 1841 are Stone family and in 1851 they have a Stone child staying with them. Also in 1841 they are living with a number of elderly people and a child (all lodgers?).

UPDATE 2: Have gone through the village of Molland on that reference Jess. No other Melluishes or names resembling that. Lots of Cockrams so in 1841 they are looking after neighbour's child aged 9.

The village they live in (1841) is called Beautrix Village. Nothing coming up on googling. Must be long gone.
                                Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 27-08-08, 18:21.
                                Liz

Comment

Think this might be Hannah's parents' marriage:

IGI: JOHN MELHUISH Spouse: ELIZABETH NICKELS
                                  Marriage: 20 MAR 1818 Molland, Devon

Their first child (if other IGI is correct for children) was born 1820. Might have been their second marriage due to age...he was born around 1765 and she 1788 (a/c to census above).
                                  Last edited by Liz from Lancs; 28-08-08, 09:06.
                                  Liz

Comment

In the 1841 census with Betty Melish and Hanna, living with them is a pauper called Wm Nicholes 91yrs b1750 Pauper. Transcribed as Nicholas.

If Hannah's mother's maiden name was Nickels, this could be her father.

Think this might be Hannah's bro:

1861 John Melhuish b1822 Sth Molton. Son-in-law. Can't make out his profession.
                                    Household
                                    Head Mary J Biddle 66 b Streatham, Surrey. Widow. Mangler
                                    Dau Harriet H Biddle 36 Unmarr
                                    Dau Hannah M Melhuish 39 Married. Vest maker
                                    G.son Edward J Melhuish 4
                                    Dau Adelaide L York 27 Vest maker
                                    Son-in-law John H York 24 Lead smelter
                                    Grandson Henry J York 14 months
                                    Address: 9 Church Alley Civil Par: Bristol St Philip & St Jacob, Glos
                                    Reg district: Bristol Sub reg district: St Paul ED, institution: 5 Household sch: 130

Not many Melhuishes from Sth Molton, Molland although plentiful elsewhere.

According to some blurb on the web, Melhuish is one of the oldest names in England and can be traced to royalty...at last!
                                    Liz

Comment

Working...
                                    X