Question re. abbreviation in legal case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question re. abbreviation in legal case

Last year I found a Chancery case involving OH's Lamb family dating back to the 1780s. Neath Record Office sent me the documents, involving about 13 documents and pages and pages of text.

It's a real headache to transcribe. Some of it is beautifully written, other pages are just scribbles with numerous crossings-out.

Several of the documents use an abbreviation.

At the end of each paragraph there is a gap and then "fo to" (that's what it looks like)

E.g.
    "That under or by Virtue of the said Recovy and Indre of Release the said Wm Bassett became seized of and well intitled in Equity to the fee simple of the sd Est and premes situate in the Cy of Glamorgan aforesaid fo to"

(or it could be "so" and not "fo")

Has anyone met this before? What is its significance?

*scratches head*
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

fo to -forwarded to...the said correspondent ...not 100% sure but I would think the most likely abbreviation...good luck...allan;)
    Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
    oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
    adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
    merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
    coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Could it be the equivilent of what we write on the end of a cheque value. so as not to add any more after the text?

On a check you'd write say, £3.27 in the figures box & Three pounds & twenty seven pence only on the line
      Jess

Comment

Jess, I wondered the same thing. It looks as though it marks the end of each paragraph.

The odd thing is that after the "fo" or "so" there is a gap of six or seven spaces, then the letters "to".
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Just a guess, but might the gap have been left for later insertion of a folio range where more information could be found (e.g. fo 34 to 41), but never completed?
          Would be useful for tracking a case forward (provided it was filled in LOL).

Comment

Working...
          X