Isle of Wight research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Isle of Wight research

To any of our Isle of Wight members - have any of you used the Family History Centre in Newport - if so are they friendly and helpful!

I am doing a tree for a very dear friend of mine who lives on the Island - and we have traced one side of the family back to Niton and probably Whitwell before that. She has caught the bug is happy to go rummaging around graveyards to see what she can find, but also wants to see if she can find anything in the parish records so that we can go back further.

She is a complete beginner - so was wondering if I sent her along to the FH Centre whether they would give her a bit of initial help when looking at fiche etc., just to get her started.
    Elaine

Hi Elaine,

Sorry but I've not used the centre - none of mine are from the island.

When I first started, I did try to find the place, for future reference, and wandered round St Thomas Square for some time but never located it!
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thanks Gillian.

Just seen on the Isle of Wight Record Office site that they hold a card index of IOW BMDs. Think this might be easier for her to start with - break her in gently!

Might have to get her to investigate the Family History Centre at a later stage, when I send her off looking for the non-IOW lines!
      Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post

When I first started, I did try to find the place, for future reference, and wandered round St Thomas Square for some time but never located it!
        I wonder if that was because the address on the website is Chestnut Close, Shide Road.
        Elaine

Comment

I have used the IOW Record Office and found them very helpful, and, if you go down the road towards the River and turn left there is a useful Cafe for lunchtime.

They have put most if not all of their BMDs on the IOWFHS Website which is free to browse.
          Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

I have visited the Newport Records Office and found the staff to be very helpful.
            The St Thomas Square address is only for iowfhs members and limited opening.

The address for Newport record office is,
            26 Hillside
            Newport

Hillside is a small hill leading off the quay.

Ken

Comment

Sorry - I might have confused things!
              The Family History Centre I referred to in my first post is the Church of Latter Day Saints one.

Have already checked the BMDs on the IOW FHSociety website - what a wonderful resource. Am now thinking about pre 1837 and parish records. The Newport Record Office with the card index looks the best bet for a novice!
              Elaine

Comment

The LDS centre is in Shide, but I've never used it. The RO is a wonderful place, full of very helpful people. I spent two whole days there a few years back going through their card index and writing down every BMD for two of the Surnames in my tree!

Elaine I have some Parish Records for the Island covering 1780 to 1812/20 in most cases. If there is anything I can look up for your friend please let me know.
                Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks everyone.

Wendy - will send you a pm!
                  Elaine

Comment

I have a Copy of Philimore's marriages which covers Niton 1561 - 1812 and Whitwell 1699 - 1837.

No trace of Daniel Morris' marriage at Whitwell, but
                    22 Nov 1787 Micah Morris of Arreton married Hannah Baker
                    19 Dec 1799 Richard Morris married Martha Urry
                    20 June 1816 William Morris of Freshwater married Hannah Palmer.

At Niton is the marriage of Andrew Morris to Sarah Dixon by licence 10 May 1809, and prior to that Widower John Morris of Whitwell married Widow Rebecca Lock 18 Oct 1808.
                    Last edited by Grampa Jim; 27-08-08, 11:43.
                    Grampa Jim passed away September 2011

Comment

Sorry Elaine. I misunderstood. I didn't even know there was an LDS centre on the island!! I thought my nearest was Portsmouth. I'll have to look into that.

Ken - have you been to the one in St Thomas Square? And, if so, where exactly is the entrance?
                      Gillian

Comment

Gillian - I thought you may have misunderstood me!

Details from the LDS website:

Newport England
                        Chestnut Close
                        Shide Road
                        Newport, Isle of Wight, England
                        Phone: 44 (0) 198-353 2833
                        Hours: T, Sat 10am-1pm; Th 10am-4pm; T 6pm-9pm
                        Closed: 18 Dec - 8 Jan
                        Elaine

Comment

Thanks for that Grampa Jim. I'll make a note of those just in case they come in handy later on.
                          Elaine

Comment

Elaine - thanks for the details.

That's so strange! I wonder how long it has been there? I know I last searched for my nearest centre about two years ago.

*rushes off to check her list of LDS films she wanted to view one day when she had saved for the ferry*
                            Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Just Gillian View Post
                              Elaine - thanks for the details.

That's so strange! I wonder how long it has been there? I know I last searched for my nearest centre about two years ago.

*rushes off to check her list of LDS films she wanted to view one day when she had saved for the ferry*

Gillian that has been there for years!!!! It's behind the LDS Church.
                              Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                Gillian that has been there for years!!!! It's behind the LDS Church.
                                Wendy - I've never even noticed an LDS church in Newport (I don't get out much :D) I didn't even know most of the Ryde churches existed until I did the POW photos, and I'm there much more often than Newport.

I feel like a kid who's been given the keys to a sweetshop!

Now, where's that thread about what one would do with a £100 competition prize?
                                Gillian

Comment

You can't miss the LDS church, very modern and with a tall white spire! Haven't got round to taking a photo of it yet.
                                  Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                    You can't miss the LDS church,
                                    Er, you can.

Elaine - I'll let you know how I get on, so that you can pass it on to your friend. I've never used the fiche readers before either, so I hope they are helpful there!
                                    Gillian

Comment

Hi Just Gillian

No I have not been to the one in St Thomas Square , the easiest way is if you look on the iowfhs site , click on General Information - General Information about society - Research Society it will explain and show a map.

Isle of Wight Family History Society

Ken

Comment

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the information and link.
                                        Gillian

Comment

Working...
                                        X