Queensland marriage certificates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Queensland marriage certificates

I have found a public tree on Ancestry which has a small married-in twig with minimal details.

The parents of the man in question - Henry Pillinger Mable, c1842 Oxford - are named but with no dates or places of birth. I can find no trace of a birth or baptism for Henry. His mother's name doesn't "fit" with what I know of her marriage, and Henry's middle name, Pillinger, would, if the mother's name is correct, be his aunt's married surname!

Before I contact the tree owner, I am trying to "gen up" on Australian certification as it appears the only way the tree owner could have known Henry's parents' names was from the Australian marriage or death certificate. I have found Henry's 1876 marriage on the Queensland index, but can't find anywhere on the site which tells me whether both parents' names of each party would have been noted at marriage.

Does anyone know please?
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Both parents (including mother's maiden name) should be on a marriage cert from Qld. They are on all mine.

Comment

Thanks Libby - I thought you would probably be the one to know, but your light was off when I was typing this, so I didn't expect such a quick response!

That explains how the tree owner got the names, now I just have to solve the mystery of how exactly Henry came to have the parents he did!
      Gillian

Comment

My computer is palying games with me, Gillian. Decides to turn itself off every so often. Now it's back, but making so much motor type noise, I think it needs another sleep. I just went through all the hassle of re-installing Windows as that failed.

Computers are like men.....can't live with em..can't live without em

Comment

Gillian......don't suppose hie death is on the Qld indexes is, it???? That should have his parents names.

Comment

lol Libby!

Mine is at last working properly for the first time since 7.30am - it has been on a go slow and I've spent more time on cleaning/clearing my PC today, than I have on my entire house in the last week! Hope yours sorts itself out soon!
            Gillian

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
              Gillian......don't suppose hie death is on the Qld indexes is, it???? That should have his parents names.
              I couldn't see a death for him Libby and there isn't one on the Ancestry tree. Mind you, the tree doesn't have his children either, and I found two of those on the Queensland site.
              Gillian

Comment

Had a quick look in NSW for death....Nothing there either. Does the Ancestry tree have a place or just Qld?

Comment

The wife - Janet Sophia White was born 1857 Crow's Nest Qld, died 1944 Brisbane
                  Henry only has dob c1842 Oxford, Oxfordshire
                  Gillian

Comment

I know Crows Nest. If you feel like googling, it will probably come up with Toowoomba.

IF...my computer holds out, I'll have a look later.

Comment

Thanks Libby and, I should have said just now, thanks for looking at the NSW index for me.
                      Gillian

Comment

Bear in mind that the parents' names on the death certificate are not always correct, and I have seen one or two certs where the mother's maiden name is even wrong on the marriage certificate. As for his middle name matching his aunt's married surname, I have got some of those in my tree too - perhaps named after the uncle (or uncle-to-be if not married yet) who may have been his godfather? Or named after another member of the uncle's family - could be that the two families were already close?
                        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

The deaths for QLD only go up tp 1929 but doesn't ancestry have the Australian census to 1936?
                          Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Electoral rolls, you mean, Jean, yes they do.
                            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

oops yes I mean electoral rolls!
                              Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Thanks Kite.
                                As the Ancestry tree doesn't have a death for Henry Mable, I thought the likelihood was that they had obtained the names from the marriage cert.

I hadn't thought of the godfather explanation but that would make sense.

Henry's parents are said (on Ancestry tree) to be John Mable and Mary Ann Salmoni.

Mary Ann Salmoni married John Jones in Headington in 1838 and was still married to him in 1841 when her father died. There is no record of a Salmoni Mable marriage, or a Jones Mable one. There is no evidence that there was another Salmoni family around Oxford at that time.

Martha Salmoni married John Pillinger in 1822. There is no evidence that this couple had any children.

So, I am at a loss as to how Mable came into the Salmoni mix.

Mary Ann and Martha's mother was a Simmons but I have been unable to find out the names of her parents.

Jean - thank you. I don't think the Electoral Rolls are going to help - unless of course there are other Salmonis on them in the area.
                                Gillian

Comment

There's more Salmonis in Australia than Mables lol.

Comment

There's a distinct shortage of Mables in Oxford too Libby! Mobley seems more popular.

According to a website about the Salmonis, which has my OH's line totally wrong, a Thomas Salmoni and his wife emigrated to Queensland in 1909. They settled in Childers. It seems to be the same Thomas who was said to be a pioneer of Bracewell.

I have in the meantime rediscovered another sister of Martha and Mary Ann, named Elizabeth. She is on the 1841 will of her father but, unlike her sisters, no mention is made of a husband. There is no baptism for her, but her birth must have been between 1810 and 1815, so it is possible that she married a Mable, although I can find no trace of a marriage.
                                    Gillian

Comment

Can you contact the tree owner?

Comment

Is Salmoni an Italian name?? There were a lot of Italians settling in places like Childers. they often were cane cutters, or owned the cane farms.

Comment

Working...
                                        X