Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New research

Hello all

Ive recently started going through parish registers for some of my lines and ive done about 2hours research today and done really well taking one of my lines back to early 1700's.

I just wonder how to find out what the occupations are for the people i find?

When i looked at the marriages it just told me the names and if they were from different parish's.

And on the baptisms it told me the child, father and date.

How do i find occupations?

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

If they left a will or an estate that went to administration then it should state their occupation on that. Also it will sometimes say it on the burial entry in the PR but if it doesn't say it on the marriage or baptism then I don't suppose it will on the burial either.

Also, if there are other records for the parish you may be able to find out from those - you would almost certainly have to go to the record office to look at those. I'm thinking of tax records, church pew register, stuff like that.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Cheers Kite

I will take a trip back to the records office and have a good luck then.

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

The earlier you go, the more difficult it is to find occupations. If they were poor, then there may be settlement examinations. These will often give occupations, who the people worked for etc.
        If people were called as witnesses in court cases, they had to state age, residence and occupation. It's usually quite difficult to find ancestors in court cases, but if you do it's well worthwhile.
        It's worth looking at the website for the record office, mooching through paper catalogues and asking the archivist what sort of records survive for the parish you are interested in as diferent places are strong in different records.
        Phoenix - with charred feathers
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Working...
        X