Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What other info can i put in my nans book?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What other info can i put in my nans book?

Hi

I have the usual copies of BMD, census and photos but what else can i put in? I was thinking of putting in info about people's lives during each census and what life would have been like, perhaps details of some occupations, maybe details of the towns/villages people were living in?

Is there anything else that would be interesting for her to read about?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Did any of them get a mention in a newspaper/gazette?

Or in a Trade Directory?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

None of my direct ancestors did, however the sibling of one was put in prison for stealing, oh and another one absconded from the navy and set up in Oz
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Or a Parish Magazine?? Or Church meeting Minutes?

Did the Navy one have a Seamen's Register entry? They can be quite interesting.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I have the records of the naval person, and also a copy of the "wanted" entry too. Although its not direct, it is very interesting.

where would i get copies of the church meetings or parish magazines? None of my ancestors are from this neck of the woods
          Last edited by Lensgirl; 26-08-08, 18:00.
          Robyne

Comment

For example:
            I did a bit of rooting in TNA and A2A and suchlike, and discovered that Warwick Records office had the Minute books for Coleshill Congregational Church, where my G-g-father had been a lay-preacher. He got a number of mentions, and there were references to BMD events for his family, too.

Christine

Comment

My 5x great grandfather was the town Beadle and fairly well respected in Marylebone (im guessing seeing as he was the Beadle and also a grocer prior), yet i havent found anything for him in either A2A or anything else (named personally anyway). Is there anywhere else i may find him without trekking to the parish itself?

I may have to make a trip to TNA to see what else i can find
              Robyne

Comment

Sounds as if he should have a mention in the local RO material. Where would that be? LMA? Westminster? Are there any clues in the Wiki?

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X