Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some interesting extracts from Non-conformist registers

Hi

just thought you might be interested in some of the entries on the non-conformist registers that i have seen

Marriages

Mr Hawksworth of Hawksworth married Mrs ........ Having but 24 hours acquaintence one with another

Mr Shuttleworth of Clethero marries Mrs Sunderland of fair weather green her husband left her £5000 in money £80 panu. in land, he a wanting man 24 years old has little

John Scott of Leebridge aged 78 marries hannah yates his servant abt 20 years old

Danl Walker of Lightcliffe married one from Leeds formerly his servt

Tim Bolton & Ellen Dewhirst at Wakefield after he married R Shuttlesworth's daugher

Mr Starky stole away Mr Hilton of Park dau (was to marry Mr Farington that week)

Widow Turner married her man at Coley Ch calld Lancashire a poor lad and a bad one, not 20 and she above 60

Isaac Farrar and Phebe Clay married at Halifax Church without the knowledg or consent of parent on either side he had stolen her affections being but 17 years of age a sad grief to her tender-hearted father

Abraham Scot stole his wife and brought her to Haslihurst

Robert Brierly and ...... Bairstow marryed at Ealand Nove 17 97, his old wife was drowned Oct 8 97

John Rudman married Mary Appleyard an old man to an old woman

Burials

Mr Sam Sunderland aged 74, a very rich man

John Burley lay 11 weeks in great misery almost eaten away with vermin, head in sores

John Bests wife went to Pontefract on Tuesday with her son Charles, had fainting fits yet was hearty on Friday following, dyed there on Sat

Mr Taylor alderman of liverpool was upon the exchange walking at 10, dead at 12

An Aldermans wife

Another Alderman buried the week before

Emma a poor woman aged 100. Some say 102 , had cost the parish above £40 in poor leys (1678)

Susan Brigg with child by Tim Stocks, he ran away refusing to marry her, was deliv'd and died. Roger Stocks took care of it.

George Boyl was laughing and fell down in a palsey fit

Two women in Bradford, one found in bed, the other died

Tim Starkey of Shelf drunk 4 Jacks of Brandy, it dried up his body, was in horrible pain

I don have any quakers or non-conformists but its a great read
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

They're great, Robyne! I do feel sorry for John Burley and his "head in sores", though :o

Comment

It must have been awful! there was also a lot of marriages to men to "the daughter of..", i guess these women didnt merit their names being mentioned!! In some instances it does give a lot of information about them, especially the people who walked to a fair and died. that seemed to happen a lot, i dont think i would have gone anywhere in those days!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

George Boyl was laughing and fell down in a palsey fit
        That sounds like Catalepsy - or a variant of Narcolepsy. I remember a TV programme about a young woman who collapsed whenever she laughed.

Or maybe the excitement/effort of laughing just brought on a heart attack.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

"Widow Turner married her man at Coley Ch calld Lancashire a poor lad and a bad one, not 20 and she above 60"

This is the one that made me smile - having a fling at last?
          CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

It made me smile how they must have looked down on it! they also put on things like they married in April and their child was born in September. There was also one about a man who went to London to get married and died on the morning of the wedding, travel must have been an absolute no-no in those days!
            Robyne

Comment

Working...
            X