Looking for a marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a marriage

Hi Everybody , having read these forums for a while I can see that there are a lot of bloodhounds on here that can see things that us mortals are unable to find so heres hoping .

I am looking for a marriage between Abna Thomas Thorpe and Elizabeth Hill

Abna Thomas Thorpe b. 14-Aug-1874 Gresley Wood ,Church Gresley , Swadlincote , Derbyshire
    1891 Census at Cock Hotel Church Street Ripley as Abner Thorpe servant
    1901 Census he is in Derbyshire Royal infirmary ( from 27-March to 6-May ) Census is wrong as they have swapped birth places with Charles Amos of Knaresborough.
    1903 Abna Thomas Thorpe died in Southampton

Elizabeth Hill b. 1869 Chesterfield Derbyshire
    1871 Census in Chesterfield with parents
    1881 Census in Chesterfield with parents
    1891 Census no can find
    1901 Census Elizabeth Thorpe in Heanor Derbyshire staying with Joseph + Martha Briggs
    2 Children Abner M Thorpe + Constance E Thorpe

Birth certificate for Abna M Thorpe says mother maiden name Hill
    Death certificate for Abna Thomas Thorpe says Elizabeth Wife of deceased

Looks likely that if they married it was in Derbyshire as they moved to Southampton after
    Abna Thomas left Hospital.

what census are they first a married couple?

i found this on freebmd in derbyshire

abner thorpe married dec 1856, but its to either fanny mycroft or sarah gent

so i guess that dont help

Comment

They are never together as a married couple on the Census
      1891 Abna is working in a Hotel and I have not found Elizabeth yet.
      1901 Abna is in Hospital and Elizabeth is visiting.
      They moved to Southampton after discharge from Hospital and lived at 86 Stratton Road Southampton until Abna died in 1903.
      Abna Thorpe was not born until 1874

Comment

What does it say for Abner's marital status on the 1891, please? Unmarried or Married?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Kite it looks like an "S" for single..

RG12; Piece: 2746; Folio 31; Page 4;

researching Matchett, McFarland, Dick, Ewing, Koehler or Kohler, Nairn and Young.

Raven's Wiki Page
          Raven's Family Tree

Comment

So he probably got married between 1891 and 1896 when Abner jr was born, but I can't see anything like it on FreeBMD.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hes a servant to a family of Payne..

]

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                So he probably got married between 1891 and 1896 when Abner jr was born, but I can't see anything like it on FreeBMD.
                It says hes married on the 1901.. RG13; Piece: 3224; Folio: 212; Page: 5

]

Comment

Sorry I cant find the marriage,

Abna Mervyn H Thorpe was born in 1896 so I checked the completed index 2 years either side of this date but came up with zilch..

Now checked 1891 to 1898 Thorp and Thorpe sorry..
                  Last edited by Northern Light; 26-08-08, 13:41.

]

Comment

All the evidence points to their being married.
                    Abna Mervyns birth certificate in July 1896 says mothers maiden name Hill
                    Abna Thomas death certificate in June 1903 has Elizabeth as widow of deceased
                    Elizabeth re-married in 1912 to Harry Alfred Newhook and her name is Elizabeth Thorpe

Still stranger things have happened.
                    Thanks for your help

Comment

Ken maybe the marriage never reached the gro index?

I have searched for 3 years for my gg grandads birth but havent found it and his 8 siblings are all registered.:o

]

Comment

Elizabeth Hill is my grandmother through her marriage to Harry Newhook. Her daughter by this second marriage, is Olive Kathleen Nora (my Mum).

Would like to communicate with you re Thorpe family history info and share Elizabeth's history through the Newhooks.

Comment

Ken - I don't think you've mentioned it in your posts (but history has shown I'm more than capable of missing the obvious, so please forgive me if you have), but in 1881, 1891 and 1901 census images, and in the 1874 birth registration, the name is definitely with the more-expected spelling of "Abner", rather than "Abna". I am not suggesting that your spelling is incorrect for his name - just that officialdom has recorded is name that way. If you're searching with the full name in a mechanical/computerised system (especially if there's no "fuzzy" or Soundex option), you will certainly need to allow for the expected spelling.

Is it worth seeing if the Derbyshire FHS has any useful info for you? http://www.dfhs.org.uk/ It's not unknown for a Local registration system to have a (e.g. marriage) record which failed to get into the GRO index.

Christine
                          Last edited by Christine in Herts; 07-10-10, 12:56.
                          Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                          X