Army Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Uniform

Please - can anyone identify this army uniform?
    The photograph would have been taken about 1935/6 and the soldier is a lance corporal (one stripe).

I believe it to be associated with a 'cavalry' regiment. Maybe the Royal Horse Artillery, but have been unable to trace their 'non dress' uniforms on Google.

The cap appears to be a dark colour (maybe navy blue) with what look like silver flashes (?) along the top folds.. but cearly its not khaki, and I can't see what the cap or the epaulette badges say...
    Attached Files

My Grandad in the Royal Artillary taken about 1942

Comment

This was aphoto of his first promotion in 1940

Comment

I think the cap he is wearing in promotion photo isn't worn by cavalry. It looks a bit like the one my Dad had in the Rifle Brigade. I will see if I can dig it out later for comparison.
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And with his horse

Comment

Hi Elba
            Are you able to re-scan it at 300 resolutions ?

It's only at 72, which means that when enlarged the detail is not clear

At 300 we might be able to see what the badges are .... the initials on his epaulette may be readable

Last edited by Rachel Scand; 26-08-08, 10:13.
            ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

OMG - it is time for me to admit that those 'senior moments' have finally taken over my brain...

Here I am, asking if anyone can recognise that army uniform. The couple are my parents - and I knew that the photo was taken 'about' the time they were married. I also knew that father had finished his time as a 'regular' with the army before WW2, and had re-enlisted in the Royal Army Service Corps for the duration of the war.

So - laying in bed last night - worrying about his previous regiment (as one does), and EUREKA !!! It came to me - Check their Marriage certificate - and there it was...

2nd Battalion Queens Royal Regiment. So problem (sort of) solved. I say 'sort of', because I know my father rode the horses on gun limber teams - yet I think this regiment was not involved with those... Oh well, another thing to research I guess.

But thank you all for trying to help - if my 'forgettery' wasn't so very good, I needn't have bothered you - Sorry!

Comment

Well done!

We all have moments like that, or go through our notes and find the answer to something we've been searching for for months!
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Elba, no worries as Nell said we all go through these forgetful days.

Comment

Working...
                  X