1861 census lookup request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1861 census lookup request

Only have an Index list of the Pursgloves of London for this year.
    If you can supply images. I would be grateful

PURSGLOVE, William 24 M St Luke
    PURSGLOVE, Emma 23 F St Luke

PURSGLOVE, John 32 M St Luke

PURSGROVE, George 30 M St Luke
    PURSGROVE, Hannah 28 F St Luke
    PURSGROVE, Elizabeth 5 F St Luke
    PURSGROVE, George 3 M St Luke
    PURSGLOVE, William 2 M St Luke
    PURSGROVE, Eliza 0 F St Luke

In Canterbury I know of a PURSEGLOVE, John 27
    I need to know his place of birth and what institution he was in

Can any others be found in Kent/Sussex area?
    Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 25-08-08, 20:14.

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

William and Emma are together, but the boy William aged 2 is their son, rather than belonging to the other family.

The family headed by George has John 32 living nextdoor, so that's one page.

As yet, I've not found the one in Canterbury.

I'll have a look at Kent/Sussex in a minute. In the mean time if you want these pages please could you send me your email address by personal message (click on my name to do that)

Comment

I've looked at all the Johns aged 27 living in Canterbury in 1861 and I still can't see him. Do you have a birthplace for him?

Comment

I've done a Soundex check on the two counties and turned up a Mary Purseglove unmarried aged 60 b Herstmonceux Sussex. I'll send her page too.

I'm not going to say there are no more, as I don't trust the transcriptions that far!! I've looked through about 250 Soundex matches and there were no others within those!

Comment

Ah, did you get John 27 from FindMyPast? He may be in Canterbury DISTRICT but not necessarily in Canterbury. I'll have another look.

Comment

I was looking at a note that I had been passed (scribbled some time ago) when I asked for the John.

The note says
            "london area
            Institution PURSEGLOVE, John 27 M Canterbury "
            So it looks like the John was in some type of institution in London and was BORN in Canterbury

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I've found John 27 now, transcribed by Ancestry as John Perreeglow

To be fair, it's hard to say what his name actually is, as the handwriting is poor. He is unmarried, from Salford, Lancs and is a Private in the Permanent Infantry.

Comment

Oh and the barracks are in Canterbury, just that I didn't look at Perreeglow seriously as an option to begin with.

Comment

If he's from Lancs, he is not part of my research, so don't worry about him

Researching:

Comment

Working...
                  X