Australia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australia

Hi can anyone tell me if Australia is hard to research please? Also where would you find the census for it. My friend has just asked me if it is hard to research and i was like erm well i will have to find out for you lol.
    Thank you.
    Jen

It depends which State you're interested in - each one keeps separate BMD records. New South Wales is quite easy to search. There are no census records, though (except a small one in 1841) - they're destroyed for privacy reasons.

There's lots of information in the Wiki, but if you say which State your friend's interested in I can point her in the right direction to get started.

Australia - Family Tree Forum

Comment

Jen......give us some details (if they are living it will be harder....and pm me if so), but it can be very easy or very, very hard. Like most places lol.

I'm OK with Qld and NSW.....Macbev is good at WA.

Comment

Australia

A good place to start your Australian research is the free search engine Genealogy Search Australia at Genealogy Search Australia - Genealogy and Family History Search Engine and Directory
        It has indexed over 4000 family trees.

Good luck
        Andrew

Comment

Jen, http://www.ancestry.com has the old Australian electoral rolls, which can be very useful in tracing families.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

if it's victoria you're after, you can buy the cd roms with a majority of the bdm's on them. or i can go to the state library and look them up.

south oz has a lot on the internet, try googling what you need.

Comment

Really? I thought there were no BMDs online for SA?

Comment

Thank you everyone sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am not sure yet on where they came from all i know is the surname would be Denby. I will try and talk to her this week and see what else she can tell me.
                Thank you again.
                Jen

Comment

So long as they're not living people, you can post the names here and we'll have a look for you.

Comment

Thank you Mary all i know at the minute is living peoples names so will have to wait until i see her next.
                    Jen

Comment

If they emigrated relatively recently, or any of them fought in WW1 or WW2, you may find them here:

RecordSearch - National Archives of Australia

Comment

Working...
                      X