Trade directory for 1841-51 Staffordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trade directory for 1841-51 Staffordshire

Does anybody know where i may be able to find directories for this time period?

Also if i email Staffordshire record office, do you think they will be able to find out any info on my elusive James Hulse (portrait painter)?

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Originally posted by quiffdo View Post
    Does anybody know where i may be able to find directories for this time period?
    Have you tried Historical Directories ?

Also if i email Staffordshire record office, do you think they will be able to find out any info on my elusive James Hulse (portrait painter)?
    They'll probably charge you an hourly search fee, whether they find anything or not.

Comment

Im not very good with Historical directories.

Reckon i might have to wait untill i can get to the records office myself.

Ill give the link you provided another go, thankyou

Danny
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

The William Salt Library at Stafford (adjacent to the records office) has a good selection of directories.

William Salt Library

Comment

Danny, Historical Directories does have History, Gazetteer & Directory of Staffordshire, 1851, Post Office Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire & Worcestershire, 1850, Slater's Directory of Birmingham, Worcester & the Potteries, 1851 and some from the early part of the 19th century too. If you choose the "find by keywords" and then select Staffordshire as the county and 1850's as the decade you will see the ones I mentioned. Then you can click on Directory to start searching / browsing it, or "Fact File" to get a list of contents to start from. For instance, if you click on "Directory" and then type Hulse in the Search box and click "Search", it will give you a number of matches ("hits"). Then you can keep clicking on "Next hit" to see each one. I can't see a James Hulse who is a portrait painter in the 1851 Staffordshire directory though. There is a saddler and a wood turner.
          Oh, there is a Mr James Hulse listed at May Cottage, Wolstanton, no occupation given. Where did your James Hulse live?
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Working...
          X