Surname-van Cleaven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surname-van Cleaven

Has anyone come across the surname "van Cleaven" before please, or suggest what it might be a miss-spelling of.

I can't find any references to it anywhere (apart from the one I have :D)

I found a few references to van Cleven in Holland, but they don't really fit.
    Joan died in July 2020.

I just googled it Joan and got something rude ????????????

Comment

Hi Joan,
      The "van" suggests that it's Dutch.
      Any chance it could be "van Claeveren", which would be an old-fashioned spelling of "van Klaveren"?
      Will have a think about other possibilities...
      Sarah

Comment

Oh, thanks Sarah - I will look under that.

The name is in a Times Law report of the 1930s, so I think it must be a spelling error
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
          I just googled it Joan and got something rude ????????????

LOL Val!!! :D :D - What's your secret??? - When I googled it I just got loads of sites about van rentals in Cleveland!!!
          Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

You could try looking at this site: Database of Surnames in the Netherlands

It will bring up a list of names starting with the letters you enter. Leave out the "van" though.

The closest name I can see when entering Cle... is:
            van Cleve / van Cleef / van Cleeff

But in terms of pronunciation I would expect a name with "ea" in it to be pronounced as "aa" in Dutch. The old fashioned spelling of that sound would be "ae" though rather than "ea", but that could be a spelling mistake? So I think it's also worth looking at names starting with Kla..., Klaa..., Clae..., Claa... Even names starting with "Klie" would be worth looking into - because the English pronunciation of "Cleave..." would be something like "Klief..." or "Kliev..." in Dutch. Can't see any likely "van Klie..." names though.
            Last edited by Cloggie; 25-08-08, 16:41.
            Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
              The name is in a Times Law report of the 1930s, so I think it must be a spelling error
              Any other names (forename or other surnames) that might be of use to look up?
              Sarah

Comment

I put in the search

surname "van Cleaven"

Comment

Oooh that looks interesting, Sarah ... thank you. I will investigate!

Unfortunately the only other information I have is that the person was female, her Christian name began with C, and a think she married someone called Fuller. In the early 1930s she was employed by Mr HW Wicks as a stenographer in Malta - he subsequently seems to have made a claim for damages for libel against her.

Thank you again - Having ground to a halt on this, I now have new lines of enquiry.
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                    I put in the search

surname "van Cleaven"

Well it doesn't do it for me Val!!!!! :(
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Hmmm, nothing Dutch-sounding in those other names. I have a Fuller in my tree though, maybe there's a connection, lol! ;)

In case you didn't see it - I have just edited my post above, as Cleaven could be pronounced different ways depending if reading it in English or Dutch.

I also wonder whether the "v" could actually be something else? There is a Dutch name Claessen / Claesen / Klaasen / Klaassen, but without the "van".
                      Sarah

Comment

Originally posted by Cloggie View Post
                        Hmmm, nothing Dutch-sounding in those other names. I have a Fuller in my tree though, maybe there's a connection, lol! ;)

Who knows, Sarah... that would be lovely!

I am assuming she came to England to marry Fuller, was employed in England by Wicks who subsequently took her to Malta when he set up in business there. The only other thing I know (I think!) is that Wicks also employed her husband to be "the chief agency official of the Mutual Life and Insurance Society of Malta".

Thank you again - you have given me lots to look for:D
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Well good luck with this puzzle! I hope you are able to turn up something. If you do get into Dutch records and need any help with the language, just give me a shout.

Out of curiosity I did a quick search for Fuller on TOP - Toegang op Personen which searches several Dutch databases simultaneously. It found 95 hits for Fuller on Genlias. So that surname also occurs in Holland - just to confuse matters! :D
                          Sarah

Comment

Thank you for your help and encouragement, Sarah. You have given me loads to look for where I had given up - and thank you - if I get stuck I will give you a shout - my knowledge of the Dutch language is nil.

Thank you
                            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                            X