Memory Stick and FTM.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Memory Stick and FTM.

(Wasn't sure which board to put this on.)

I've now got a memory stick, as I couldn't seem to save my FTM stuff on floppy or CD. But I'm not very clear about how it works (surprise, surprise!!)

• Can I use the memory stick version to work on and add new stuff?

• Can I delete the original from my computer? (The computer is running very slowly, and I thought it might speed it up - but what do I know?!)

• Can I take the memory stick with me to use on someone else's computer, without the info then somehow being readable by their computer after I've gone?

Can anyone advise me?

Bee.
    Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
    COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Originally posted by Bee View Post
    (Wasn't sure which board to put this on.)

I've now got a memory stick, as I couldn't seem to save my FTM stuff on floppy or CD. But I'm not very clear about how it works (surprise, surprise!!)

• Can I use the memory stick version to work on and add new stuff?

• Can I delete the original from my computer? (The computer is running very slowly, and I thought it might speed it up - but what do I know?!)

• Can I take the memory stick with me to use on someone else's computer, without the info then somehow being readable by their computer after I've gone?

Can anyone advise me?

Bee.
    Bee, I wouldn't advise you to delete the original from your computer as the copy on the memory stick could become corrupted and then it would be lost. I also wouldn't advise you to work from the copy on the memory stick and add new stuff to it, just to use it as a backup.

As for using it on someone else's computer, yes, you could do that but if you are using the FTM file on the memory stick then they would need to have FTM on their computer and I think FTM would probably automatically copy it onto their actual computer disk.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I backup my FTM tree onto a Memory stick, but I also add a copy of the Gedcom too. If you wanted to use someone elses PC and they didn't have FTM you could use the Gedcom instead.
      Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

By default FTM creates a copy of the currently viewed file(s) when FTM is closed down, it will create a backup onto the computer each time you close FTM.

So when you close FTM it creates two copies of the file(s) that are open, a main .FTW file and also a backup .FBK file.

It is possible to change the default option so the .FBK file isn't created but it isn't really worth the risk, the files won't be large enough to slow the pc down to any great extent.

FTM opens files by specified paths, by using a file just from the memory stick creates it's own problems, as it wil create a copy and backup each time you close the file, (you would finish up with mulitiple files and that can be a nightmare), anything you add to a file will not automatically be added to the stick, you would have to save the newly edited file back onto the stick each time you add or amend anything.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thanks for your speedy replies. Sorry I wasn't here - been cooking!

Kite/Kate - thanks for this. I didn't think of corruption problems, and thanks for the explanation about FTM on someone else's computer. I'm visiting a rellie in a few weeks time to compare FH research notes, and I thought it would make it easier if I took my memory stick - I see it won't be as simple as that! I'll check if she has the programme on her 'puter.

Ah, Wendy - another handy tip! I'll do that.

Glen, if I understand you correctly, I'll need to work on my computer, and save onto my memory stick each time I've changed something so that I have up-to-date versions on each place - computer for working on and memory stick for backup.

I expect someone will put me right if I've misunderstood your instructions.

(My daughter was very impressed, as I loaded the memory stick and saved my photos, certs and FTM onto it all by myself! I used the 'r-click: properties: copy: then drag copy onto removable drive E' method - hope that's right, seems to have worked!)

Bee.
          Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
          COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

"Glen, if I understand you correctly, I'll need to work on my computer, and save onto my memory stick each time I've changed something so that I have up-to-date versions on each place - computer for working on and memory stick for backup.
            "

Correct Bee

As soon as you edit anything on your file (add a date of birth for example, or add/delete a name, add a birth or census reference) then the contents of the file have changed BUT the contents on the memory stick are unaffected. It's only when you save the most current version of the file (with any new or edited information) onto stick/disc etc that your latest information is backed up separately to the auto backups on your hard drive.

Both Elaine and myself recommend what we loosely call "Son, Father and Grandfather".

It sounds a bit complex but it's quite easy to do, you just need to have a bit of discipline.

Firstly you have to have three sticks/discs.

#1 is called "Son"
            #2 is called "Father"
            #3 is called "Grandfather"

The first time you make a backup use stick "Son"

The second time use "Father"

The third time use "Grandfather"

The fourth time use "Son"

The fifth time use "Father"

The sixth time use "Grandfather"

The seventh use "Son"............and on it goes.

In the worst case scenario where your pooter goes pop and the latest back up stick becomes damaged, then you have a backup on the previously used stick, although you would lose some information, it will reduce the amount of data you lose to an absolute minimum.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Oh, right.

So my daughter's advice to get an external hard drive to keep everything on isn't such a good idea then? Or could I use that and the memory stick alternately, like 'son' and 'father'?

Having 'grandfather' as well seems a bit OTT to me, but then, 'I know nothing', as Manuel would have said! How necessary is it, do you think? I'm open to persuasion.

Bee.
              Bee~~~fuddled.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
                Oh, right.

So my daughter's advice to get an external hard drive to keep everything on isn't such a good idea then? Or could I use that and the memory stick alternately, like 'son' and 'father'?

Having 'grandfather' as well seems a bit OTT to me, but then, 'I know nothing', as Manuel would have said! How necessary is it, do you think? I'm open to persuasion.

Bee.
                The external drive and stick would be better than just relying on a stick alone.

The reason for recommending three discs/sticks is that both discs and sticks can fail, discs due to physical damage (scratching being the most obvious) and sticks are generally regarded as best used as a portable option to use for temporary storage, they are less stable than discs for long term storage. Having said that i have used both discs and sticks without problems in the past.

Although the three disc/stick system sounds OTT you have to offset how easy/difficult it would be to re-instate all your information (dates, names, places, images, references, notes etc) since the last backup was created.

If like most of us, you find you add a little bit now and then it isn't too difficult, but if you suddenly find an entirely new branch or a host of information about a particular surname then you may be adding lots of information that you might find difficult to locate again.

It's like contents and buildings insurance, you don't want to pay for it but can you afford not to have it? And do you go for minimum cover or splash out for a little bit extra protection.....just in case.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Someone will correct me if I am wrong (probably Glen! ) but I don't think you can work on a FTM file unless it is stored on the hard disc of your computer.

In other words if someone sent you a FTM file or you stored your master copy of your FTM file on an external source such as CD or memory stick, then you would need to transfer it to your hard disc before you could open it.
                  Elaine

Comment

I just tried opening my tree from the memory stick and it opened OK. When I closed the program it saved a backup to the memory stick!

Only problem I can see from that is that FTM will expect to open a file from there next time.
                    Wendy

Comment

Thanks for that Wendy.
                      Probably what I am thinking of is opening files from CDs - I believe that they are "read only" format. (again correct me if I am wrong! :o)
                      Elaine

Comment

Yes Elaine, I would think a read only CD would cause problems. Don't know about Re-writable though. Don't think I'd want to try it!
                        Wendy

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                          Someone will correct me if I am wrong (probably Glen! ) but I don't think you can work on a FTM file unless it is stored on the hard disc of your computer.
                          I'm not 100% sure, if the file is sent as an attachment for example you would have to download it first then right click and "open with".... but by downloading the file in the first place it would have to be saved on the hard drive

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                          I just tried opening my tree from the memory stick and it opened OK. When I closed the program it saved a backup to the memory stick!

Only problem I can see from that is that FTM will expect to open a file from there next time.
                          I have never tried to close FTM with a stick attached to the computer, but as you say, the way FTM opens files (through filepaths) it seems reasonable to assume it would look for the stick when you attempt to open that particular file again.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                            Thanks for that Wendy.
                            Probably what I am thinking of is opening files from CDs - I believe that they are "read only" format. (again correct me if I am wrong! :o)
                            Correct Elaine, by default the files are "read only". By right clicking and selecting "properties" it is possible to uncheck the "read only" box, after opening the file in FTM this allows the file to be edited in the usual way.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Working...
                            X