Unidentified body - what happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unidentified body - what happens?

What happens when there is a non-suspicious death but no identification as to who the person is/was?

Hugo

Local authoriies will try to trace identity but if all fails they would be registered as unknown. I've just checked on FreeBMD there were 8339 death registrations with unknown surname between 1900 and 1914!
    Update but only 11 "unknown" deaths on Ancestry complete 1984 - 2005 listing (all male) so I guess with National Insurance, pensions etc its easier to track down identities nowadays.
    Last edited by JudithM; 25-08-08, 13:05.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

In the past, not a lot!

I've been transcribing burials recently (1700's and early 1800's) and I'd say there were about one or two unidentified people buried every year in just this one parish at that time. Mostly they were described as travellers or "from the lodging house" etc.

I suppose if the person looked poor and there was nothing suspicious not much was done to try and identify the person. If you look at the GRO indexes in the erly years there are dozens if not hundreds of Unknowns registered each Q.

Today I'm sure lots more effort would be put in to identifying bodies.

Comment

Thank you both for the replies.

Hugo

Comment

I have found several "unknown sailor" who had drowned and been washed ashore in the Isle of Wight Burials. Some have the name of the ship they came from if known, but many are just unknown.
          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Kirk Michael registers in the Isle of Man have page after page of "human arm" "human leg" burials!

OC

Comment

Working...
            X