Death Cert image query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death Cert image query

If you were going to order this would you just give the first and last name ??
    as Im not sure which middle initital is correct thanks

Name: Arthur J Mignot
    Birth: abt 1831
    Death: Mar 1914 - Hackney, Greater London, London, Middlesex

Name: Arthur W Mignot
    Birth: abt 1831
    Death: Mar 1914 - Hackney, Greater London, London, Middlesex

Alhough both entries appear on the GRO index I cant believe two men of the same age and unusual name died in the same district, same quarter, same page of the register, so my guess is that whoever registered the death was also not sure what the middle initial should be and that both entries will lead to the same certificate. In which case leaving out the middle initial or just picking one of them should be OK.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

My lot are the most awkward lot around I'm sure
      Thanks Judith

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
        Alhough both entries appear on the GRO index I cant believe two men of the same age and unusual name died in the same district, same quarter, same page of the register, so my guess is that whoever registered the death was also not sure what the middle initial should be and that both entries will lead to the same certificate. In which case leaving out the middle initial or just picking one of them should be OK.

Judith, if the GRO indexer couldn't read what it said on the certificate, they would put in an index entry for each possible interpretation of it to make sure that the entry would be found if someone was searching for it, so I would think that is more likely than that the informant gave two possible middle initials when registering the death.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes Kite, that's what I meant when I wrote "my guess is that whoever registered the death was also not sure what the middle initial should be"
          In fact, although the index has a middle initial, the register entry would normaly have the whole middle name so perhaps the informant said something like "Well I know he was called Arthur but I'm not sure if he was Arthur John or Arthur William"
          Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Judith, what I was trying to say was that probably the person who did the actual indexing couldn't read the middle name on the cert but he was sure it began with either a J or a W. I don't think it is very likely that the actual certificate gives two possible middle names (unless one is crossed out?), but I'm sure all will be revealed when the cert arrives and Val, I don't think it will matter which middle initial you put on the order.
            KiteRunner

Comment

I dont think I'll put either though Kite just in case ????????????

Comment

Sounds best, Val. My money's on his middle name being William, by the way.
                KiteRunner

Comment

Knowing this lot its probably something stupid like Wilhemina or Jaqueline lol

Comment

The reason I think it will be William is because there is a marriage on FreeBMD for an Arthur William Mignot. I think it was in the 1850's, which would fit with him being born in 1831.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

ah right , thanks Kite

Comment

Alternatively, there is an Arthur James Mignot on the IGI, baptised 29 May 1833, son of Samuel and Elizabeth Mignot.

Samuel, the father, appears in the Huguenot discs I have as a patient of the French Hospital London in the 1860's , as well as others of the family, with links to the Goldings etc, if those entries are useful to you let me know and I'll give full details.

Comment

hello Richard nice to see you, thats very nice of you, I'll let you know if thats okay, as not had a lot of time to do much this weekend

Comment

Working...
                          X