FAO OC re Coppenhall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FAO OC re Coppenhall

OC, your threads are always a tutorial in themselves, but the word Coppenhall especially grabbed my attention as my dad grew up there.
    This summer I acquired a copy of a recent book, Crewe, a History by Susan Chambers, which is a Philimore book.
    She says '' The Coppenhall entry in Domesday book...gives us the first account of the area.... 'Copehale', as it was called at the time, was before the conquest two manors jointly held by two Saxon freemen, Halden and Ulfac, who both probably held a couple of other estates though they were not large landowners. About these men we know nothing else: there is no indication that there was a lord's hall associated with the manors...''
    She then goes on to say the land passed to the Norman William Malbank's family.
    The Domeday book entry reads
    ''The same William ( ie Malbanc)holds Coppenhall. Healfdene and Wulfheah held it as two manors and were free.''
    No further mention of Holdens or similar.
    Susan Chambers seems to be an authority on the area. According to the jacket blurb she is a volunteer at Cheshire Record Office so you might be able to contact her through them
    I hope this helps
    Janexxx
    Last edited by Cool Blue; 25-08-08, 10:34.
    To boldly go where no genealogist has gone before....

Jane

Thankyou, how fantastic! I am reasonably confident this is an early Holden and I shall pencil it in as such. (For those who think I am easily convinced, remember the population of England was less than one million at the time, and known landowners were numbered in a few hundreds)

Perhaps Holden sold the land in Coppenhall and the transaction has been lost. However a much later Holden did hold small lands in Coppenhall (mid 1600s) and I ASSUMED (lol) they were a recent purchase.

Perhaps they weren't, perhaps they were a very old remnant of their Cheshire holdings.

Also, the reference to Wulfheah is interesting. The very early known holdings of Holden Manor included an area called the Wulfheandene (now known as Wolfenden) in the forest of Rossendale.

Thankyou again for this. I will contact Susan Chambers to see what she knows!

OC

Comment

*phones an emergency warning to Susan Chambers*

Healfdene also sounds like Holden if you take your teeth out first!

Comment

Yes, Merry - the origins of the name are supposed to be Half Dene,(or Half Dane, depending on who you trust) so Healfdene is a good rendering.

Susan Chambers will be THRILLED to hear from me, Merry, how could she be anything but?

OC

Comment

LOL you two.

Comment

OC I just found this in that book. I quote with no comments, LOL:
            ''At some point around the year 3500 BC give or take a thousand years, one of our Neolithic ancestors left a stone axe-head on Coppenhall moss.''

Comment

Jane

LOLOL! It's mine! It's mine! Holdens are notoriously careless with their tools.

OC

Comment

*alters date to 5,500 BOC*
                Last edited by Cool Blue; 25-08-08, 13:25.

Comment

Ignore me folks, I'm just bumping this up so I don't lose it - got no ink to print it off till this weekend!

OC

Comment

Working...
                  X