Correction on a birth cert - help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correction on a birth cert - help please

Can anyone give a definitive answer ? On a birth cert in the column is written this:

'In entry No 293 col 5 (name, surname and maiden surname of mother) 'Smith' read 'Smith otherwise Jones'. Corrected on the 25th August 1927 by me R.S. Martin Registrar on production of a statutory Declaration made by Edith Mary Jones otherwise Smith and Ruth Jones.' -

The child was given the name Smith and there is no father. Edith Mary is the mother

Any ideas please (names changed to protect the innocent )
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 24-08-08, 16:28.

I read the situation as being that Edith Mary Jones swanned around calling herself Smith, either pretending she was Mrs Smith, or maybe it was the name of her stepfather?

Ruth Jones was horrified to hear that Edith had registered her child as Smith and said "Oooh, you'll get into terrible trouble when they find out you aren't entitled to be called Smith"

(In fact, Ruth was wrong - Edith could call herself whatever the *** she liked, quite legally)

OC

Comment

Yes, that sounds the likeliest explanation to me too.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I agree too.....

Ruth Jones was horrified to hear that Edith had registered her child as Smith and said "Oooh, you'll get into terrible trouble when they find out you aren't entitled to be called Smith"
        Was Ruth the elder (and bossier) sister of Edith, by any chance??!

Comment

Have discovered Ruth was the mother guys. many thanks

Comment

And would no doubt be appalled that this lapse was being discussed on a public forum!
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
              And would no doubt be appalled that this lapse was being discussed on a public forum!
              pmsl!!

Comment

Hence the false names Though they are both long gone

Comment

Working...
                X