The meaning of being 2/12 years old

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The meaning of being 2/12 years old

No it does not mean that the transcriber was unsure whether it was 2 years or 12 years - as I thought at first.

It represents 2 months old. Yes 2/12 of a year. Thank goodness it was not writen 1/6 years.

I just wanted to share this piece of trivia.

Hugo

Hugo

If you have ever found any children on army records they are often transcribed like this. I have so many that are 10 and a half months or 5 years and two twelths etc! Helps to date their birthdays with quite good accuracy!:D

Janet

Comment

I think the months divided by 12 bit is quite difficult as the 12 sometimes looks like a half. Easier when they just say 2 mths.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I dont think they ever use parts of years for older kids - otherwise we wouldnt have to fiddle about working out whether the birth was a year earlier or a year later (depending on the month of the birth being before or after the census date). So when you see a fraction its always a baby.

Comment

Yes, its just recognising that /12 is a fraction of a year, and not a half.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

It's common medical 'shorthand' - just as 3/52 is 3 weeks, and 5/24 is 5 hours. (Handy hint to know.)

Bee.
            Bee~~~fuddled.

Searching for BANKS, MILLER, MOULTON from Lancs and Cheshire; COX from Staffordshire and Birmingham;
            COX, HALL, LAMBDEN, WYNN, from Hants and Berks; SYMES (my mystery g'father!) from anywhere near Bournemouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Bee View Post
              It's common medical 'shorthand' - just as 3/52 is 3 weeks, and 5/24 is 5 hours. (Handy hint to know.)

Bee.
              But just to confuse things 20/40 relates to 20 weeks pregnant! (not that you will find that in a census transcription!)
              Sue x

Looking for Hanmores in Kent, Blakers in Essex and Kent, Pickards in East London and Raisons in Somerset.

Comment

Working...
              X