Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Searching the Domesday Book

I've tried on TNA!

Please can someone explain how I can narrow down my searches to the county of Chester.

I want to browse the returns for Chester as I have some (iffy) information that the Holden family owned manors in Cheshire which are recorded in the Domesday Book. It is too much to hope they were called Holden then, so I need to browse, if this is possible.

Thankyou for any help.

OC

OC

If you need me to do anything for you i can, im going to go the records office tomorrow.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Are you using the advanced search? That gives the option to search by place, county, or keyword. I came up with about 17 hits for Chester. They seem quite detailed.
      Phoenix - with charred feathers
      Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

OC, I'm sure my OH told me that the Domesday Book doesn't include Lancashire, so it may well be that it doesn't include Cheshire either. Unfortunately, he's just gone out but if I haven't managed to find our book of it (he's always reorganising the bookshelves, lol) by the time he gets back, I'll ask him.
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh, okay, I've found it and it does include Cheshire...
          KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

I think the Domesday Book does include Lancashire but not as a place, as I don't think it was a county in its own right at the time of the Domesday Book.

Phoenix

I got 4700+ hits when I did that!

OC

Comment

Do you know the name of the place, OC?
              KiteRunner

Comment

Danny

Just seen your post, thankyou for your very kind offer but I wouldn't dream of asking my worst enemy to trawl the Domesday Book for me, lol!

This has all started from a contact's query about who someone's grandfather was in 1700!

OC

Comment

Open the Documents Online (from "search the archives" on the drop down menu.)

On the left hand side, click advanced search.

Just put Chester in the place box.

There will be hits for various things, but choose Domesday. 17 hits.
                  Phoenix - with charred feathers
                  Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

OC, if you know the place name then my book has a place name index. Looking through Cheshire, it seems unlikely that there is anybody called Holden - the names so far are like Leofnoth, Gunnar, Ulf, Wulfric, etc but anyway, tell me the place name and I'll have a look.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

No, that's the problem, the manors are not named AND the information may not be correct, as the 19th century historian (Whitaker) who made this remark, isn't totally reliable.

He accepts the various Holden pedigrees as submitted by Visitation etc without question. But the Holdens chose to gloss over a few unpleasant facts when reporting their pedigree, naturally.

I have to say, I have never seen any Cheshire land or properties mentioned elsewhere in connection with the Holdens, but it may just be that Chester was the administrative area at the time. Also, the Wills of the successors to the tittles and arms are all lodged with Chester Courts, even in the 20th century.

OC

Comment

Oh, o.k. If you don't know the names of the manors and they weren't called Holden in those days, I'm not sure how you will know if you find them??
                        KiteRunner

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                          Danny

Just seen your post, thankyou for your very kind offer but I wouldn't dream of asking my worst enemy to trawl the Domesday Book for me, lol!

OC
                          Well if you change your mind:D

Danny
                          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

Oh, there is a Healfdene who held part of Batherton and part of Coppenhall - could that be an old version of the name Holden?
                            KiteRunner

Comment

Kate

Yes, that could very well be! The origins of the surname are obscure, but any variation of Half Dane or Hole Dene is a goody!

The plan was to identify the manors and try to bring them forward by ownership if that makes sense?

Just seen Coppenhall - yes, that was a later Holden property certainly. Oooh, how exciting this is - I haven't managed to push them back before 1179.

OC

Comment

Right, I'm going in after Healfdene, lol, hold my ankles, somebody!

OC

Comment

Grabs on and holds tight..:D

OC you must have the patience of a saint lol. Holdens are everywhere I look. Im just going through St Katherines Blackrod prs and theres some Holdens in the book lol..

]

Comment

They've even infiltrated the Isle of Wight!!!!!!!
                                    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Yes, they are absolutely everywhere. However, for this exercise I am concentrating on the armigerous Holdens only, in an attempt to get the backbone of the family firmly established.

Well, I thought I had already done that but the recent Burke's information gave me a few wobbly moments. However, I have calmed down after I realised that the pedigree in Burke's is what somebody SAID was the fact, not what is actually recorded as fact down the ages.

It is turning out to be a useful exercise anyway as I have discovered a few more things which now make sense of some very conflicting info I had in the past.

The very early divorce I mentioned in another post (in the 1300s) did actually take place, I discovered. In fact, the marriage was an arranged child marriage and the "divorce" was the legal consequence of not honouring the marriage contract (a huge fine paid half to the Monarch and half to the aggrieved family).

A later successor had an illegitimate son, and a legitimate son, both called Robert. He disinherited the legitimate son and the illegitimate one inherited. Puzzled? Yeah, so was I!

But no, all is explained.(I discovered yesterday!) There was only one son, Robert, and he was born in marriage. But he was later declared illegitimate because his mother had married my Holden, whilst still under a child marriage agreement to someone else.

The Church declared him illegitimate (no doubt egged on by another Holden who stood in line to inherit the vast wealth in the Holdens at that time). It took a LOT of money to have the marriage validated and Robert to be declared legitimate after all and therefore able to inherit.

Sorry, I know I do go on about the Holdens, but I am obsessed with them!

OC

Comment

Just seen Coppenhall - yes, that was a later Holden property certainly. Oooh, how exciting this is - I haven't managed to push them back before 1179.
                                        If it is the same one, Coppenhall is Crewe - just come back from there!
                                        there is http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/un...?u_id=10103447
                                        but also a Coppenhall in Staffordshire mentioned in doomsday book http://www.roman-britain.org/chase/p...coppenhall.htm
                                        Last edited by jean; 24-08-08, 16:20.
                                        Jean

To forget your ancestors is to be a brook without a source, a tree without a root....

Comment

Working...
                                        X