X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marriage at St Nicholas Sussex Brighton

Need help with two of my ancestors:
    Mary Reed and William Parks.
    William Parks; born about 1791 United Kingdom, exact place unknown, Tin Worker, died befor 1851 in the United Kingdom. He married
    4 dec 1828 in Brighton (St. Nicholas), United Kingdom, with
    Mary Reed; born about 1799 in Sussex United Kingdom. She died after 1851 in the United Kingdom.
    They left for Middlesex. I have their decendants, but am trying to find their parents. Is there someone who can help me find their marriage entry at St. Nicholas? I live abroad and doing research in england is proving to be really very difficult. Any help is appreciated.

As you have an exact date for the marriage, the relevant records office will probably send you a photocopy for the cost of copying and postage.

Records Office is

East Sussex Record Office
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
      As you have an exact date for the marriage, the relevant records office will probably send you a photocopy for the cost of copying and postage.

Records Office is

East Sussex Record Office
      I think all the Records Offices are now required to certify copies of Marriage entries and charge £7 for them. :(

Bizarrely, I don't think that that affects personal callers!

Chistine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I'd be surprised if that's true for marriages before 1837 like this one, Christine?
        KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
        (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Do bear in mind that the marriage will not give the names of the parents. The most you can hope for is the names of witnesses providing a clue. Unfortunately, Brighton was growing at such a rate that anyone marrying there probably wasn't born there.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Is this the couple who were living in Finsbury at the 1841 census? If so, there is a death of Williiam Parks indexed as Sep 1845 Holborn 2 86 in FreeBMD which might be your man, as Finsbury was part of the Holborn registration district.

Doesn't answer your question, but may be of interest anyway?

Roger

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
            Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 24-08-08, 20:06.

Comment

On Rootsweb Sussex board there was a fab bloke called Chris 1066 who seems to have just about everything at his fingertips and does live in the area and offers look ups. Have a quick look to see if he is still on the forum there or indeed add your query on there. He looked up a large number of my Bonifaces and Cheals for me in his local churchyard

Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 24-08-08, 22:32.

Comment

Originally posted by KiteRunner View Post
                I'd be surprised if that's true for marriages before 1837 like this one, Christine?
                Doh! :o

Quite right. I'd forgotten the date element!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Nell; Christine, Kiterunner; Phoenix; Roger and Thinker, thank you for your effort in helping me. I will look at the death too of William in 1845.

Thinker, I have send Chris 1066 a message. Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!
                  Cheers, Alex
                  Last edited by Guest; 25-08-08, 16:00.

Comment

Working...
                  X