Clear All

• Hi everyone.. help with the Rockley family

Hi, can anyone help me find this family on census, births etc

Arthur Bousten Rockley ( Head) born 1864-65
    Hellen or Ellen Rockley nee (Ainsworth) about the same
    Frank Rockley 1886
    Arthur Bousten Rockley (Jr) 1890-92
    Sam or Samuel Rockley

Please help, I cannot find them anywhere.

Hello....Welcome to FTF.

Is the info you have above from the 1901 census??? Just wondering where you got it from. What area are we looking at?
    I'll have a squizz around Ancestry. Back in a minute.

Comment

Hi Welcome to FTF
      can you give the place of birth/county of Arthur please.
      GWEN

Comment

I can find Frank but he's not with the others, so obviously the wrong Frank.

I'm presuming they are a family......Arthur and Helen/Ellen and the kids???

Comment

Hi thank you for the warm welcome and the quick reply

Arthur Bousten Rockley (Sr0 was born in India I have his marriage there.. then they went to England. cannot find the kids births.

Arthur B. Rockley (Jr) is my grand dad.

They should be on the 1901 census I figure.

Don't know where born in England.

Comment

Found an Arthur and Ellen with little Fanny W in 1901, but Arthur and Ellen are too young.

Comment

Yes they are a family.

Comment

Have you found Arthur (jr) birth? or haven't you found any births?

Could they have been born in India?

Does you grandfather's death cert or marriage cert have his place of birth?

Comment

how old are they.. what are they birth dates and parents names?. they did have sisters, I did not mention it as I dont know their names or date of births...maybe ellen is one of them.

Comment

no place of birth on his marraige certificate.

Comment

I'll explain to you what all Information I have.

Arthur Bousten Rockley, born 1825, Surrey, England
                      married: Ellen Smith 1850 something India.

Son: Arthur Bousten rockley: born 1864, India
                      Marraige: Hellen Jane Ainsworth 1885.

Arthur Bousten Rockley born 1890 +2 no birth information
                      Marriage: Ethel Augusta Hopper 1821 India.

With all this it does seem like the last Arthur was born in India but I know that they were born in England. His other brothers went back to England.
                      Last edited by deniroc; 24-08-08, 10:01.

Comment

How do know they were born in England?

It's just that I can't find any Rockleys (or variations) on Ancestry born India. Rockley seems to be a Nottinghamshire name, or at least that's where I'm finding them.

I haven't done any research in India so have no idea what's on the certs...sorry.

Comment

I have found the 1st 2 Arthur Rockley's in India.. on LDS and FIBIS but not the 3rd Arthur and his Siblings.

The reason I know is cuz his brothers went back and he didnt saying its too cold there so doesnt want to go back.

Thank alot for your help.
                          Last edited by deniroc; 24-08-08, 10:13.

Comment

I wonder if saying "he doesn't want to go back" meant he had been in England rather than born in England.

The Arthur and Ellen I found in 1901 are both born Nottinghamshire 1877 and 1879 so definitely not yours.

Maybe someone else will have an idea. Wonder why there is no place of birth on the marriage cert (or do they not have it on the Indian certs)?

Sometimes English children were sent back to England for boarding school. I wonder if that is what happened??

Comment

It is very confusing???? I'll see what other info I can get then be back.

Thank you again x

Comment

If I've gone to bed when you get back, I'll check back in the morning....time differences are fun.

Comment

Frank Rockley age 51 married - occupation insurance - departure Liverpool 16 Nov 1937 - destination port Bombay India - ship Castalia. Other Rockleys on the same voyage - Ellen 44, Thelma 11, William 8, Frank 3
                                  There is an S A Rockley age 57 married - occupation engineer - departure 18 October 1950 - destination port Bombay India - ship Jalazad. Other Rockleys on the same voyage - Mrs B L N Rockley age 47

this is what someone found for me on FMP, these are his brothers.
                                  if we try to find their birth maybe we can get to Arthur?
                                  Last edited by deniroc; 24-08-08, 11:05.

Comment

Hi, If anyone is going to the British Library can they do a look up for me on these births?

Comment

Working...
                                    X