Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Rogers - What happened?

Hello,

I'm brand new to this forum so please be gentle. I'm trying so very hard to find out what I can about the man who is John Rogers. He has an amazing past which has inspired my father to find out what he can about him. However My father gave up his search when he realized just how big of a challenge this was going to be.

Not so long ago my father told me about the legend who is, John Rogers. If you're still with me then I don't mind sharing the story. What follows is all I know about this man and I am searching for more answers if ANYONE can help me in my search please contact me or reply to this thread with anything you can tell me about him.

John Rogers at an early age decided he could do more with his life by going in to The Army. Where he signed up is something I don't know. However I do know that he was part of the Somerset Regiment and must have served there for well over 20 years. After lying about his age to get in The Army John matured to the rough age of 28 - 30 when he was shipped off to the Boer War which began in 1899 and ended in 1902. During this war, John had a picture done. This picture is in my possession today which shows him stood proudly with his whip, full Army outfit & his hat.

This part is cloudy but it's believed that sometime during this war John was injured on a boat possibly on his way home. John and a number of his comrades were all taken to an Army hospital where they were getting confirmation of their deaths by a qualified DR. However. John was declared alive.

After making a full recovery and returning to The Army as a Sergeant-something. A remarkable tale began. The story of Lawrence of Arabia began. I personally have not seen the film but in short. Lawrence of Arabia chose John to be one of his personal body guards. This had such an influence on John Rogers when he returned he named his son John Lawrence Rogers. John Lawrence Rogers went on to name his son Lawrence John Rogers. Lawrence John Rogers is my fathers, grandfather.

I don't really know what I can achieve by sharing this story here on this forum but I wish that I can get something from you guys. I have a number of pictures of the photo of John in the Boer War and also some later pictures which are amazing. I'd love for someone to see them and give comment.

Kind regards

Shaun Pearce

Hello Shaun and welcome to the forum!

What a great story!

I'm not experienced enough in military research to be able to help with finding out more about John Rogers, but, if you have scanned the photos, there is a Family Tree Photo section on here where you could post them for comment.
    Family Tree Photos - Family Tree Forum
    Gillian
    User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Thank you for your reply.

I am a novice to these forums. Does the photo need to be uploaded to a website in order to add a URL rather than browsing the computer?

Sorry for my newbieness

Shaun

Comment

Shaun - there's never a need to apologise on FTF. It's an extremely friendly and enthusiastic forum. Even those who can't help with a specific search (and there is usually someone who can) enjoy reading the different stories and following the quests.

This is a link to using photobucket - the site most on here use for uploading their photos.

Gillian
        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

Welcome Shaun to FTF I think you will enjoy this site it is very friendly.
          I really enjoyed your story can your post where he was born and the year and I will see if I can find him and his family on any census. You could look on the TNA site to find his army records.
          GWEN

Comment

This had such an influence on John Rogers when he returned he named his son John Lawrence Rogers. John Lawrence Rogers went on to name his son Lawrence John Rogers. Lawrence John Rogers is my fathers, grandfather.
            Hi Shaun and welcome to FTF!!

The above struck me as a lot of generations to fit in between now and John Rogers. Have you managed to trace back these generations getting certificates to verify dates, names and places etc?

(as an aside, FTF does not allow details of living people to be posted without their consent - just to save your typing!)

Comment

Thank you all for your kind greetings. John Rogers was born in Bristol around 1871. He died when he was 67 roughly around 1938. He died in a small town called Brithdir in South Wales(UK) where he was then taken to his hometown of Ealing(London) - South Ealing possibly, to be buried. The sad thing is he was on holiday visiting his family when he died in Brithdir.

I'll reel off some facts we know so far and I hope this helps.

John Married Gertrude Nott (could be Knott) I think her middle name was Allice.

He was part of the Somerset Regiment.

I believe he was a Sergeant Major in the Army

John had 2 brothers. The names of one is unknown to me but he was a Mason. the other was the Chief of Police in London during the period of the Suffragettes. His name was Sam or Samuel Rogers.

That is pretty much all I can reveal.

This is the link to the picture of John when he was in the Boer War. I'll later add an image of John with his Wife so you can see.

I hope this helps.

Comment

This looks like John's marriage to Gertrude (from freeBMD)

Marriages Dec 1903
                Gertrude Alice Nott / John Rogers
                Taunton vol 5c page 586
                Elaine

Comment

do you know the names of Johns parents? I have found a family on the1871 census that fits John,s date and place of birth but no brother called Samuel.
                  GWEN

Comment

That's amazing. That is definitely John. After speaking with a very old Aunt of mine she did say he was married in Taunton. What information can I get from that? An I able to see it?

Comment

I'm sorry the names of his parents are unknown to me as of yet. What have you found?

Are any of these documents you're finding available for me to see?

Comment

Hi Shaun, welcome to FTF.

Have you contacted the Somerset Light Infantry Association to see if they have any info for you?

Under normal circumstances I would offer to do some asking for you as there is a meeting this coming Wednesday but I'm going into hospital that day.

The regimental museum is located in the Somerst County Museum in Taunton but unfortunately that is closed for some big refurbishment at the moment.

If you 'Google' Somerset Light Infantry Regimental Association you get a site all about them & there is a forum there also.
                        Last edited by Vivienne; 24-08-08, 18:52. Reason: Stupid sp mistake
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Hiya Shaun and Welcome !!

If you google the site for "Kevin Asplin" he has lots of stuff on the boar war, if you find anything for your John, you can contact him and he will get what you want and he is very reasonble with his charges.

Good Luck !
                          Jacky

Comment

Was John's father called John and his mother Elizabeth his father John occupation was a stone mason could this be the right family?
                            GWEN

Comment

Vivienne thank you for the welcome.

I have managed to look at the website for the SLIA and when I found it had been shut down until 2010. Now this is an interesting point because John has had a write up about him in the Somerset County Museum. So as you can imagine I was very interested to get in touch with them.

I will try and get in touch though.

Thanks Vivienne

Comment

Hi Shaun - welcome to FTF.

Trying to find a possible family on the census.

RG11; Piece: 2490; Folio: 28; Page: 14

This has the head of household, Samuel, occ. Mason, and amongst the children listed is a John born 1870 Bristol and Samuel, born 1869.

By 1891 Samuel has moved to London and has an occupation of Police Constable.
                                RG12; Piece: 74; Folio 97; Page 38

- wonder if this might be the family you are looking for.

If you don't have access to Ancestry then I will do a transcription of the census for you.
                                I'll continue tracing this family forward to see what else we can find.
                                Elaine

Comment

There is a baptism for a Samuel Rogers and a John Rogers on IGI, plus other children.
                                  Parents Samuel & Jane Rogers
                                  Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

By 1901 Samuel has moved up the ranks to a Met.Police Sergeant.
                                    RG13; Piece: 188; Folio: 156; Page: 9.
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                      There is a baptism for a Samuel Rogers and a John Rogers on IGI.
                                      Parents Samuel & Jane Rogers
                                      Wendy, that would fit the 1881 census that I found.
                                      Elaine

Comment

This is the link to Kevins site he is very good I used him a will back and his rates are very good and if he does not find anything he does not charge you. He is ex military himself so very knowledgeable.

Asplin Military History Resources

I emailed him and he gave me a quote kevinasplinaol.com
                                        hope this helps
                                        GWEN

Comment

Working...
                                        X