Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A change of mind at the altar?

Evenin all,

I am intrigued by the Pallot's Marriage Index record for my 2xgreat-grandfather, Richard Rodmore.

His name & an Ann Fuller's are written in the same hand, then her name is crossed out & another hand has changed the name to Henrietta Helen Coe!

Would I be right in assuming the second name is the right one, and any ideas why it would have been changed....surely he didn't change his mind halfway through the service? I've got some rum characters in my tree, but that would take the biscuit!

Hi Karen,

I would imagine it was a clerical error and whoever was writing it out wrote Ann Fuller instead of Henrietta Helen Coe. Maybe Ann Fuller was the lady on the previous entry (or maybe the next one).

My 4x great grandfather was a registrar, and on one of the certificates filled in by him for another branch of the family he has written the informant was Ann Stinson (his mother in law) which is then crossed out and someone else was written. So who knows!

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

The other entry for the same marriage (indexed under Miss Coe) has the groom Richard Rodmore.

Then there's a corrected entry for Ann Fuller where her husband has been changed from Richard Rodmore to Hunter Nicholson (same year and church). The entry indexed under Hunter Nicholson is unaltered and is to Ann Fuller.

I should think the Pallots indexer lost their place for a minute and had to make amendments to their records!

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up, folks. I just hope the 2 ladies concerned went home with the right husbands!

Comment

Well, dont forget Pallots was just guys going round and copying down the info - I guess they got bored and their attention wandered now and then.

Comment

Working...
          X