Well done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well done

I found that my ex husbands 2 x grandfathers occupation in the 1891 census was Policeman.....I contacted the Met. Police Historic Collection and gave them his name, age and address and they found his details and emailed them to me yesterday. I was warned it would take about three months for them to find anything as they had a large workload, but this info has enabled my daughter to put flesh on the bones of her ancestor.

I do have the contact details should anyone like them.

Kathlyn

Kathlyn,

Yes, well done you!!

Would a person living in Hitchin, Herts come under the Met Police, as I found an ancestor who was a policeman in the 1901 Census living in Hitchin,but having searched HALS (Herts Archives and Local Studies) for a possible Herts connection without success, I was wondering where to go next?

Janet

Comment

Hallo!

a) Met police records, including service records, pension details where applicable, etc are kept at The National Archives, Kew. Easy to find once you have the warrant number.

b) I live in Hitchin! It's highly unlikely that a policeman living here would have been in the Met in 1901. Not sure what you searched, but Herts Police Records if not at HALS are probably still with Hertfordshire Police Authority.
      ~ with love from Little Nell~
      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Little Nell,

Thanks for that information so where would I go, or who would I write to for access to Herts Police Records? Hals did not possess any records on the particular person I was looking for. In fact they had very little for Herts police Force at all, which was why I began to wonder if they came under the Met?

Janet

Comment

Hertfordshire Constabulary is their website, but be aware that their focus is on crime prevention now, not old records.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Surrey Police have an archivist & museum - perhaps Herts Police have, too?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Congratulations, Kathlyn! Was that Maggie who helped you? I have heard her talk on several occasions and she is really enthusiastic. She has always gone the extra mile in helping people with their research.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Little Nell and Christine,

Thanks for your replies. However, yes I do reaise that Herts Constabulary are more interested in Crime Prevention, though our SW Herts Neighbourhood Watch Scheme seems to be forever tussling for information! But I will give it a try!

Janet
                Last edited by Janet; 24-08-08, 13:36.

Comment

Phoenix, yes it was Maggie, and I am so very grateful for her help. Although I did not have any details for the ancestor in question, I could give the details that were on the 1891 census and he had a very unusual name...Raamiah Witrod.

I have also found the Bedfordshire RO have been very, very helpful when I requested information, and very cheap too.

PS Phoenix, thanks for spelling my name correctly.

Kathlyn

Comment

Working...
                  X