Gedcom update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gedcom update

You may be aware that we have had problems over the last month or two with the GEDCOM facility, which we hope have now been sorted.

Can you help with the testing by uploading your GEDCOM files. If you have any problems or queries then please post them on this thread so that we can report back to Pippa and Russ when they get back from holiday.
    Elaine

Elaine......how long after uploading should it be before I can see the new names???

I just uploaded my updated file, but can't see it yet. The total number in the gedcoms increased though.

Comment

You should be able to see them immediately.

You do realise that if they have been born within the last 100 years, and there is no death or burial date recorded, then they will not be included.
      Elaine

Comment

Yes.....I knew that. I'll have another check.

Comment

No.....still not there. If anyone wants to try, all my Sawreys are missing.

They are all well over a hundred years ago.

Comment

Libby - will send you a pm
            Elaine

Comment

I have updated my Tree, whilst the problem of dying as they were born has been resolved, I now have 400ish less names accepted than my last upload .... ???
              Bridget

Comment

Bridget
                Can you identify any names which do not appear on the current upload?
                If you can could you please check whether you have a date of birth, date of baptism or christening, date of death or date of burial for these people.
                Elaine

Comment

This will take a while ..... I will see if I can identify some ...
                  Bridget

Comment

We have already identified one small problem.

According to the programmer if there is a date of birth and it is over 100 years ago OR if there is a date of baptism which is over 100 years ago, then the name should be added.

What we have found is that if there is no date of birth, death or burial - and only a date of baptism - the person is included.
                    However, if there is no date of birth, death or burial - and only a date of christening, then it appears that person is not included.
                    This may be the problem you are having Bridget.

I would imagine it is just a question of a bit of simple reprogramming to include the christening field in the search criteria, alongside the baptism field.
                    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 23-08-08, 13:43.
                    Elaine

Comment

Most of mine were recorded as 'christened' rather than 'baptised' so that would make sense... I will try another update when this is resolved, thanks!
                      Bridget

Comment

Thanks Bridget.
                        Elaine

Comment

Just uploaded mine and it's all ok this time, the filtering is working and all the names are searchable, upload and filtering took about five seconds for a file of nearly 800 names (down to 600 odd after filtering).
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                          My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                          My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Didn't the baptism/christening problem pre-date this problem? I know quite a few of us had to change the term previously from christening to baptism when we created our gedcoms because christening wasn't recognised and so the names failed to appear.
                            Gillian
                            User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I am not sure Gillian - it's possible! :o
                              Will have to wait and see what Russ says when he gets back.
                              Elaine

Comment

I've just uploaded a new gedcom and all seems well.
                                Gillian

Comment

mine wont uplaod i had this trouble before with ancestry,it comes up all writing when i click save as nothing appears to save to my desk top,oh well i will leave it.thankyou anyway brenda xxx

Comment

Brenda - I've pm'd you.
                                    Gillian

Comment

replied dont worry if you cant do it ,i will try later thankyou for helping me brenda xxx

Comment

I have re-uploaded mine, it seems to have resolved a problem I had which for some reason was showing some people as buried in the year of the next census after the last entry I had for them in my tree if I did not have their death or burial record (Hope that's clear - anyway, all seems fine now)

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                        X