Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't look at this any more this morning...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can't look at this any more this morning...

In 1901 I have William Mills with his second wife Sarah aged 44 born Birmingham and mother-in-law Ann S Hill aged 78 born Bromsgrove, Worcs - RG13 piece 2792 folio 135 p 1. William's first wife died in 1895 and I am certain his is the marriage in Pershore district (where they lived) in 1898 but the bride is a Sarah Child.

I can trace Sarah and Ann back through various census and Sarah is indeed Sarah Child in 1891, a 34 year old widow living in Cheshire (RG12 Piece: 2849 Folio 33 Page 4). She was still single in 1881 so must (I assume) have married in the interim.

I can not find a marriage between a Child and Sarah Hill....can anyone see something I'm missing?
    Asa

Where was Sarah living in 1881?
    Elaine

Comment

I wonder if this was her husband?

Deaths Mar 1887
      Child George 26 Nantwich 8a 233

Comment

She's in Deritend (Birmingham) with relations - RG11; Piece: 3018; Folio: 3; Page: 1
        Asa

Comment

That occurred to me too, Merry - I looked at the male Childs dying in their 20s or 30s in Warwickshire and Cheshire and there aren't that many.
          Asa

Comment

I was just looking at the same one Merry!
            Elaine

Comment

I think I am going to go back to the full indices and see if I have missed a George Child/e/s. He's a good possible.
              Asa

Comment

I think that George Childs is the one aged 20 living in Nantwich district in 1881 (he's a nephew), so it looks as if he may not have travelled far..........

Comment

Sarah was a domestic servant so it's possible she travelled.There aren't any obvious male Childs in Warks in 1881 but then ten years is a long time...
                  Asa

Comment

Have tried all sorts of combinations on freeBMD with no success! :(
                    Elaine

Comment

Of course she could have squeezed in another marriage before Mr Child, so wouldn't be a Hill at marriage, but I couldn't see any marriages to a random Sarah that looked likely. Pity she didn't appear to have any surviving children.......

Comment

Thank you both for having a look at it anyway. It's reassuring to know she's difficult as opposed to me being stupid

She didn't have any children that I know of. She apparently ended up drowning herself in the canal in 1922:(
                        Asa

Comment

Asa

How awful!

It may be that their marriage didn't make the GRO indexes, like the 2nd marriage of my gt grandmother Emma Matthews to John Garvie, of which you are probably all heartily bored now!
                          ~ with love from Little Nell~
                          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I am just wondering - perhaps it was the other way? Maybe Sarah was always Sarah Child and it was her Mum Ann who was Ann Child and married a Mr Hill?

Comment

Um...

SARAH CHILDE
                              Christening: 28 JAN 1856 Saint Mark, Birmingham, Warwick, England
                              Father: PAUL CHILDE Mother: ANNE
                              Source Information: Batch No.: C041141

from FamilySearch.org - Family History and Genealogy Records

Comment

Sorry, if you've found her still single in 1881 as Hill that can't be right.

Comment

Morning Nell

Although she was my great grandmother's stepmother I am ashamed to say I haven't got any real documentation on Sarah yet. But if you search Ann S Hill born Bromsgrove on census, I am fairly sure that is the mother-in-law of William and she was (1851) the wife of Isaac Hill and in fact this is Sarah -

Sarah Hill
                                  Birth: 07 JAN 1857
                                  Christening: 01 FEB 1857 St Marys, Birmingham, Warwick, England
                                  Father: Isaac Hill
                                  Mother: Ann Stanton

If the story my grandmother told me is true (and they usually prove to be) it is very sad. Sarah couldn't get over William's death and on the way back from chapel, folded her shawl and placed that and her prayer book at the side of the canal and jumped in. I must get that looked at some time.
                                  Asa

Comment

Really have to go offline now for a bit:( will be back later hopefully....
                                    Asa

Comment

Asa

You MUST find out more. How poignant that she folded her shawl!

Comment

I've ordered the death cert, Nell:-)
                                        Asa

Comment

Working...
                                        X