Ireland 1901 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ireland 1901 census

The Irish Family History Foundation's Online Research Service (ORS) are pleased to announce the availability of the census records for 1901 for Limerick and Dublin (South).

By searching with surnames, I was also able to find burials for two of OH's Newton family members in 1924.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

The above is the pay to view Census. we are all still awaiting the FREE 1901 and 1911 Irish Census through Dublin National Archives some of which should appear sometime in the autumn/winter of 2008 or even next year or the year after!!

Try Dublin National Archives for an update:

National Archives: Census of Ireland 1911

Dublin is already available for FREE.

Janet

Comment

Thanks, Janet! But at least I found two deaths/burials which I wouldn't have otherwise got.
      Elizabeth
      Research Interests:
      England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
      Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Janet, but is Dublin 1901 already available?

By the way, I haven't actually parted with any money, I have just noted the years of death.

I'm really looking forward to Dublin 1901 to find my Newton family who seemed to have debunked there - two young men studying, and aunts living there. Plus my Fullwood family. And OH's greatgrandmother, who is possibly there too.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:

Comment

It look as though only Dublin 1911 Census is online at present but the 1901 is coming!! My Dublin ones do not arrive in the big city until the 1920's!

Dublin 1911 has been available free online fully digitised through Dublin National Archives since about November 2007. If you go to the website I put in above, you should find it there. I tried it when it first came out, but sadly my Irish rellies are mainly from Cork, Tipperary and Kings County, so I will just have to be patient!

I refuse to pay the fees asked by the National Heritage Centres, which are not very accurate in any case. I don't really know why they have jumped on this particular bandwagon, when the Dublin National Archives have worked so hard, in conjunction with Canada to make these records available to everybody for free. I reckon there will be many gaps in the Heritage site ones. Certainly their other records are VERY incomplete, but you have obviously found what you wanted. With names like O'Neill and Murphy I do not get very far without paying and I do not get very far when I do pay!! I also feel that people should be warned that they have to pay on the Heritage sites.

Janet
          Last edited by Janet; 23-08-08, 14:04.

Comment

I have already found two of OH's family on the 1911 census in Dublin through the National Archives site, but I'm hoping to find at least some of them in 1901 as OH's grandfather should be there as a trainee architect.

Also his brother should be there as a trainee chemist and I'd be thrilled to find their mother Emily Newton (the one who died at Holyhead falling off the gangplank when boarding a ship). They all seem to have gone over to Ireland sometime before the 1901 cenus.
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:

Comment

Elizabeth,

There may well be long wait for the 1901 Census as they are doing all the 1911 first as the quality of the 1911 is better than the 1901. I have done some of my 1901 and 1911 Census by browsing through the "streets" of Cork whilst I was in Dublin a few years back. It was a long haul doing it this way but I did get some or them that way. However, that was easy because in the towns the census names are arranged by street, but when I tried to do the same for a large town in Kings County(Offaly) I soon realised that I needed to know the townland, and that was impossible, as I had no idea of the Townland and after two whole days searching I had to give up!! All major towns are as in the UK, by street, but all the country districts at present are by townland, so if you know the townland you can pull the relevant census in via your local LDS Family History Centre. I am patiently awaiting the 1911 Kings County Records, as I should get all my family on that 1911 census with all the ages and places of birth of all 10 children! Then I can get some birth certs! At present I only have my Father's Birth Cert and all Irish cousins are giving me different dates for all the siblings!!

Janet

Comment

im waiting for the cork one brenda xxx

Comment

ive got a very long wait, I am waiting for the 1911 waterford census and 1901 when it is released.. I tried searching the microfiche when I was in waterford a couple of months back for my rellies. But trawling through street after street made my eyes tired and me feel dizzy, so I never actually found them.
                  Researching the following names:Clarke, Littlejohns, Mansfield, Michelin, Anderson, Marr, Newlands, Shiells, Paterson, Taylor, Catleugh, Thomson, Rutherford, Cullen, Dowling, Douglas and many more
                  My family tree
                  In search of my Elusive G Grandfather - Grosvenor Ashford Clarke - A Dramatic Actor

Comment

I received an e-mail at the end of last month from the National Archives in Dublin confirming that Antrim, Down and Kerry 1911 will be released in October - the rest of 1911 and 1901 for the whole island will be available by this time next year. New Canadian contractors have just been appointed for the digitisation work and they are now working flat out.

The Irish Family History Foundation, made its first census announcement at the same time the NAI made its announcement. I suspect that at £3.50 a time, and going by their past record of extortionate charges for records, the IFHF are again trying to make a cynical quick buck. My suggestion would be to wait a few more months for the original census images, not pay £3.50 for a transcription that you cannot vouch for the accuracy of, especially at that price.

Chris

Scottish Genealogy News and Events
                    Last edited by chrispaton; 24-08-08, 09:35.

Comment

Just to elaborate - here's the e-mail:

My apologies to everyone who has been seeking information about timescales for the further releases of the 1911 and 1901 census records online. Thank you for your patience, and your messages of encouragement regarding the Dublin 1911 material.

Our Canadian partners have been engaged in an extensive procurement and recruitment process to hire contractors who will finish the project. That process has now been completed, and I’m pleased to be able to tell you that the records for Kerry, Antrim and Down will be going online in October of this year.

The rest of 1911 will follow quickly thereafter in batches of counties, in the order listed at Future Plans for the Census. I expect to have more precise timescales for the other counties as soon as the contractors start work, which will be in early August, but it is intended that all of 1911 and 1901 will be online by mid-2009, as originally scheduled. The timescales will be posted at Future Plans for the Census.

Again, my apologies for your having to wait to get this information, and my thanks for your patience. I hope that the website’s continuing augmentation will fulfil your expectations and provide a fruitful free resource for family and local history.

Best wishes,
                      Catriona Crowe

Chris

Scottish Genealogy News and Events
                      Last edited by chrispaton; 24-08-08, 09:36.

Comment

Chris - thanks for this information.

Kerry in October is good news for me and Westmeath by mid 2009 too.

I have found the IFHS a very expensive way to go for BMDs!
                        Gillian
                        User page: http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...ustGillian-117

Comment

I've been lucky in that I have found one of my GG Grandparent's sons and family in Dublin on the 1911 Census.

I also found their baptisms, but at a cost of 35 Euros for the 7 baptisms, I don't think I'll bother.
                          Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Working...
                          X