Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with IGI batch number please

Hi all,

My gg grandfather James Powell was born circa 1821 in Northamptonshire - this info from 1861/71/81 census. Looked for a christening on family search and the only one I found has a batch no I007053 and all the rest of that line is blank: no dates, no source call no, no type, no printout call no. Also does not indicate either extraction or member submitted. So what the heck is this? Anyone?

Thanks,
    Lynda

Lynda, I think the best thing to do with a batch like that is to search with just the batch number and no names entered to see a sample of the entries. But when I tried it, I got an error message saying "Due to the current level of activity on the site, your search cannot be processed at this time. Please try again later." Grrr!!!

Anyway, if I were you I would try that "later" to get an idea of what is in the batch. I think often those I batches are ones that have been taken from a printed index or some other source that is not an actual film of the PRs or BTs.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Update - I did manage to get a small sample by specifying a year of 1821 and all the entries in the batch for that year are for "Greens-Norton, Northampton" and all have different surnames, and have actual dates not a vague "about...", so it does look as though it was taken from a transcription or index. Whether there is such a place as Greens-Norton, I don't know!
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks, Kiterunner, I will try that.

Lynda

Comment

I agree with Kate - these batches beginning with "I" are not entirely reliable.

They certainly aren't extractions from the original PRs, not in the way we understand Extracted entries, that is.

OC

Comment

Our messages crossed in mid-air, or something. There is a Greens-Norton, not sure if it is hyphenated or not tho.

Thanks again.

Lynda

Comment

Parents names were given as Samuel and Elizabeth, so looked for other children for them; found 5, all christened in Towcester which is about 2 miles away. I don't know if I should claim them or not. I suspect not.

Thanks for your help. You too OC. Do you know what the "I" means?

Lynda

Comment

Hugh Wallis batch numbers website doesn't say and though it gives links to sites that supposedly do, none of them appear to work any more.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

I have to say I haven't a clue what the "I" stands for.

I could hazard a few guesses though - "I" for "an INDEPENDANT researcher, who has submitted this information at some time or other, we don't know why or when".

Or, as I comes before the J and K batches - an idiosyncratic extraction of some key names from a certain place.

It has to be remembered that the LDS church has been collecting and collating information for about 150 years now. It probably took them a few years to agree on a format for received information and therefore this might be a very early extraction or submission.

OC

Comment

Your guess is as good as mine. Better in fact, cause I didn't have one. I'll be going over to the local FHL soon, as soon as a tape I've ordered comes in; will try to remember to ask the people there. If I find out anything, I'll add it here.

Thanks everyone.

Lynda

Comment

Working...
                    X