Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLG? Stirnet?

Before I get too excited, what does BLG stand for? Could it be

British Library Genealogists or something similar?

Also, what do we know and think about Stirnet?

Someone has sent me "THE" Holden pedigree, compiled by "the BLG" in 1887, and published on Stirnet.

It does NOT correspond with my research. Before I tear mine up and start again.........

OC

Here's Stirnet, for what it's worth

Stirnet.com - Home

It seems to be a bit "exclusive"! And it got into a loop so the programming is a bit suspect.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 22-08-08, 22:38.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Burke's Landed Gentry?

Comment

Yes, I can't work out who is behind it all and whether it is a pukka site. It let me have a tantalising glimpse, but then wanted a sub.

As the information on the Holdens has no sources given other than "BLG" I would like to know a bit more before I sub to the site.

If it is just an upmarket One World Tree, I am not interested!

On the other hand, the info they give is so markedly different from my own research that I am alarmed that I may have wasted nearly 40 years!

OC

Comment

OOOH MARY! You CLEVERCLOGS!

Yes, of course.... Burke's.

Hmmm....how seriously do I take THAT, then? (With no dates given, lol)

OC

Comment

No idea. I've found one or two of mine on the site peerage.com, which uses Burke's Peerage and, I think, BLG, among its sources, and the information I found was sometimes iffy.

Comment

THE HISTORY OF BURKE'S LANDED GENTRY

Comment

Funnily enough, I was just looking at Burke's Landed Gentry in the Notts Archives the other day (when I wasn't supposed to be calling in there, I was supposed to be on a quick shopping trip, lol) and I didn't find any of mine in there, needless to say. I can't remember which years of it they have but you may well find that your local record office has some volumes of it too?
                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oh dear.

"John Holden of Holden. d.s.p. Married Isabell Braidshaigh, daur of (-) Braidshaigh of Braidshaigh)"

Um, no he didn't d.s.p. His son Robert inherited Thomas inherited Holden in 1412.And her name was Isabell Bradshaw.

A dear soul on IGI has this couple DIVORCED in 1372, the year that John inherited Holden.

OC

Comment

Do they sell family crests as well?
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC I ended up there too yesterday and was given a tantalising glimpse before they asked for a sub.

However, if you're nifty you have time to select the text and copy and paste it onto Word for example before they demand a sub. Then you can take your time to decide whether or not the info is absolute rubbish.
                      CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Taffyfrog

Someone sent me the pedigree which they had copied from there,so I have it.

But the format is quite difficult to read, what with there being no dates! The VERY early stuff doesn't match what I have found and I am wondering what sources BLG use - is it primary research, or is it basically, a submitted tree by the current head of the family?

I know that the very early stuff I have done cannot be 100% accurate, but I have worked from primary documents, which is just about the only thing that anyone CAN do, to try for accuracy. The gaps in my research don't match the gaps in BLG!

Think I have answered my own question - I can only work from primary docs and create a tree from them.

OC

Comment

Working...
                        X