Could Agnes be Ally?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Agnes be Ally?

My MRA married Agnes Shirkie (or Sharkey) in Ireland.

He appears on the 1841 census but no wife.

However, on the 1851 census a wife appears but her name is Ally. She is 36, he is 40.

Could Ally be Aggie, hence Agnes? (Think of the name being given in a broad Irish accent)

Hugo

I have an Ally in my Irish Family History which is short for Alice/Alicia.

Janet

Comment

Ally for Alice is reasonable.

I am trying to stretch the pronounciation. More in hope than expectation.

Thanks anyway.

Hugo

Comment

There is sometimes no accounting for some nicknames, my husband's grandmother was called Mabel Mary she was always called Ally and nobody in the family knows the reason why.

Barbara

Comment

It could be the collator being unable to read the original enumerator's handwriting.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Or had she adopted another name - to be Agnes Alice?

My grandmother acquired an extra first name beteen her first marriage (1911) and her death (1927).

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

The consensus seems to be that if could be a transcription error or that it could have been self adopted. At least it has not been ruled out.

I will assume she is the same person until I learn otherwise; with a note to that effect added to her record.

Thanks everyone.

Comment

I assume that Ally dies shortly afterwards and no further children are born?

If you could find a later birth certificate (I assume that the family are in England by this stage?) then that should confirm or squash your theory.
                Phoenix - with charred feathers
                Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Apologies for not replying sooner.

Ally only appears once and that is in the 1841 Census (Scotland). She and my MRA Barney/Bernard Donaghlly/Donochy/Donnachie then disappear.

Thanks anyway.

Hugo

Comment

i think you will find that both your people died before 1851, or returned to ireland. in either situation it would be difficult to trace them, as most parish burials dont exist prior to 1855 in scotland, and you'd have to know where in ireland they could have to gone to begin a trace in burial records there. also irish census is non existant prior to 1901 with few exceptions.

Comment

Cannot help with this but have a question. What is your MRA??
                      Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

My MRA (Most Remote Ancestor) Barney/Bernard Donaghlly/Donochy/Donnachie appears in the 1841 Scottish census as Donaghlly.

I regret the delay in answering but I have been forgetting to check the thread.

Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by Hugo View Post
                          My MRA (Most Remote Ancestor) Barney/Bernard Donaghlly/Donochy/Donnachie appears in the 1841 Scottish census as Donaghlly.

I regret the delay in answering but I have been forgetting to check the thread.

Hugo
                          You can have notifications of posts on your thread by subscribing and selecting ' instant notifications by email' - that way you see posts as they occur.

Margaret

Comment

Thanks Margaret. Now I have to remember to do it.

Hugo

Comment

Working...
                            X