• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where are the Frosts in 1901?

OH's great-grandparents were

John Henry Frost and
    Elizabeth Anne Frost (nee Shaw)

In 1891 they lived in Darnall Sheffield. John was an accountant, aged 40 (born 1850). Elizabeth was 42 (born Jun qr 1849). With them are OH's grandmother Eva Lizzie and her brother Richard.
    1891 RG12 3841 124 11

Eva Lizzie married in 1899.

Where are the remaining family in 1901? I think that John died in 1910, but I haven't sent for the certificate yet as I am just sending for John Henry Frost's birth certificate.

I can't find out what happened to Richard. Elizabeth possibly died in 1914.
    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 22-08-08, 17:24.
    Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Try entering:

Jno Hy Sy Poderke

pmsl!!

Comment

Was he a secret agent?
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No, but his surname belongs to his nextdoor neighbours!

Comment

No luck with Richard as yet.

Comment

:D
            Merry, how on earth did you find that!! Thanks so much. It doesn't help when they use abbreviations, either.

It shows just how inventive you have to do to search the censuses!
            Elizabeth
            Research Interests:
            England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
            Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

I wasn't inventive - I cheated! lol

I used the National Archives 1901 (or whatever it's called now!) to look for people called Frost with occ accountant, and turned up:

Jno Hy Frost 50, b Yorks Sheffield, living at Yorkshire Ecclesall Bierlow, occ Accountant

Armed with this I looked on Ancestry for any 50-year-olds called Jno Hy, living at Ecclesall Bierlow.

Comment

That's a very good tip - the National Archives transcriptions are much better than Ancestry's, and I often search there when I'm stuck.

Another useful tip is that some of the censuses on GR show the occupation when you do a free search, so if you have a very common name, that may help to eliminate some of the candidates.

Comment

I have noted that trick. I usually have a few up my sleeves, but that one is new to me!

Did Richard die/emigrate/live in another part of the UK? His name (also the name on the other side of the family) was passed down to OH.
                  Elizabeth
                  Research Interests:

Comment

I always say young men missing in 1901 are fighting in The Boer War! (when they are probably just mistranscribed!!)

Comment

Another useful tip is that some of the censuses on GR show the occupation when you do a free search, so if you have a very common name, that may help to eliminate some of the candidates.
                      I didn't know that one Mary!

Comment

Sorry, I've just checked, and it only seems to work with the 1901 census - I thought it did with some of the others, but I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                        X