Who are these people?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who are these people?

I discovered a transcript of a Will the other day, nestling in between some work papers of my late father (note to self: go through all this boring stuff with fine toothcomb in future).

It was written in 1957 by my unmarried great great aunt, Emily Green.

She makes many bequests. Three have me flummoxed.

To my NIECE E**** W**** of 18 Nursery Rd Prestwich

To my NEPHEW E****F***W*** of 18 Nursery Rd Prestwich

To my NEPHEW N****G**** of 20 Nursery Rd, Prestwich.

Now, Emily's eldest sibling Ann, married William Goldstraw Wood and I ASSUMED the first two were their children, albeit born VERY late in the marriage...

I have found a birth for E****F****W***, Q4, 1900, Prestwich. But when I look at the 1901 census, the only EFW born 1900 Prestwich has a father Herbert Alfred Alban Wood, born 1872, Battersea London. (married Margaret Agnes Wilson in 1896, Blackpool, she a Canadian)

He is NOT the child of Ann and Herbert Goldstraw Wood - they do have a son Herbert but he is accounted for elsewhere.

So, how is EFW connected to Emily and her sister Ann? Why did she make this mistake in her Will, he is not her nephew. (She has only given relationships for the above three bequests, plus another nephew, who IS her nephew. Several other family members are in this Will but with no relationships given because they are not direct, i.e. great nephews etc.)

Emily was a smart cookie right to the end and I am puzzled by this mistake, and why on earth she would make it, as there doesn't appear to be even a blood relationship.

Any thoughts? Or am I reading too much into this fundamental mistake?

OC

Could it be that the E F W whose birth you found in 1900 Prestwich is the same person who you found on the 1901 census but not the same person who is mentioned in the will?
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Ooh, OC, FreeBMD has a marriage in Sep 1925, Manchester N district, between a man whose name matches E F W's, and a Green - if you look at it you will be able to see whether the woman's name matches your "niece E" - if they married in 1925 then it should be o.k. to post up their names but I just thought best not to in case it turns out they are the wrong people?
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Oooh, thankyou Kate, I shall rush off and look at that!

OC

Comment

Kate

That's looking very good, thankyou!

So, my hunch is that E***G*** and N****G*** are sibs, and the W*** name is just sheer coincidence and has nothing to do with the Goldstraw Wood family. All I have to do now is find out whose children they are, lol.

Still, that shouldn't be too difficult as Emily had only two brothers who survived to adulthood. One is on the 1901, married 17 years and no children, so he goes into second place.

I think I will have to go further back with the Goldstraw Wood family to get at the connection if there is one, which I now doubt. Naughty Annie didn't marry William until she had given him 3 children, the first when she was barely 14!

OC

Comment

Working...
          X