Have I had a breakthrough too?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have I had a breakthrough too?

Another FreeReg success - I think..... hoping for a little reassurance here.

Here's what I had:

Abraham Watson born 1790 Tivetshall ST Mary Norfolk married an Elizabeth Unknown

They appear together on 1841 census at Tivetshall and Elizabeth is 50. (making birth year approx 1790)

Elizabeth dies on 15 Feb 1851 at Tivetshall. age on cert is 61. (birth year approx 1790)

Here's what I've found using FreeReg:

An Abraham Watson marries an Elizabeth Gaff on 9 Feb 1812 as Great Moulton
    (no ages, no fathers and witnesses appear unrelated)

Great Moulton looks to be only a few miles from Tivetshall where my Watsons lived

There is a baptism for an Elizabeth Gaff at Great Moulton on 19th July 1789 - father Edward Gaff

Gaff doesn't appear to be too common on FreeReg but I've not investigated further on ancestry to see if it's a Norfolk equivalent of SMith

Does this find look promising?

Zoe
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

ooooh oooooh ooooh - I've just found this too:

Baptism 19 July 1818, Great Moulton
    James Watson son of Abraham Watson and ELizabeth Gaff

There's a James aged 22 on the 1841 census with Abraham and Elizabeth
    Zoe in London

Comment

Brilliant stuff - isnt freereg wonderful. Gaff is not a common name Sure its not Goff I wonder.

Comment

Not for large areas of co durham Heather...........boo hoooooo

Jean
        Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

I did wonder if it was a mistranscription but looking further back at the Gaffs the spelling is pretty consistent on the baptisms and one possible brother shows up on the census as Gaff too.

Very appropriate name for my ancestry I'd have thought
          Zoe in London

Comment

Zoe

It looks as though you are on the right track. It's always tricky when you have to rely on parish registers and people don't stay in the same parish, but I think what you've found is plausible.
            ~ with love from Little Nell~
            Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

As for Gaff/Goff you have to take into account Norfolk pronunciation too.

Comment

It certainly looks good to me Zoe. It is nice to see we are all benefiting from FreeReg
                Lynn

Comment

That certainly looks possible, Zoe. FreeReg is getting to be really good, isn't it? Although I have to agree with Jean, not for me yet :D

Comment

Tis is why I'm lovong FreeReg so much

Abraham did pretty much stay in the same parish - I have his parents lines going back to a 1710 baptism (and that's stops then because I never had time to go back further at NRO)

The absence of his marriage was proving a problem because it's the only thing he didn't appear to do in Tivetshall.

I started going outwards in parishes but doing that in Norfolk you get about 50 churches to the square mile.

The Watsons do have a tendency to run to a nearby parish to grab a wife and the drag her back to Tivetshall

I'm off for a look at NOAH to see if the Gaffs crop up on there
                    Zoe in London

Comment

What I don't get, though, is that with so many of us on FTF having Norfolk rellies and knowing Norfolk propensity to be very inbred, how come we haven't found out that we are related?!

Comment

I'm related to Francis from Norwich, although we found that years ago.

I suspect that all of Norfolk are related it's just finding that one gateway ancestor from who we are all descended.

My lot tended to stick around their villages and venture out of the gene pool once in a blue moon to find a wife. I'm pretty sure all of my Bartrams are related to each other 20 times over
                        Zoe in London

Comment

I'm desperate for freeREG to do Northumberland/Durham and Westmoreland as I've found nothing for my lot.

Green with envy!!!

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

I've just had a look at FreeReg coverage - zilch for my dead-ends as yet.
                            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Nothing for Hampshire or the Isle of Wight.

I enquired at the Newport RO about obtaining the Isle of Wight Parish Records, but they say there aren't any available.

Looks as if we are in for a long wait!!!!
                              Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Originally posted by WendyPusey View Post
                                I enquired at the Newport RO about obtaining the Isle of Wight Parish Records, but they say there aren't any available.
                                So where are all the churches depositing their archives, then? In the Solent?
                                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Well my Rust's seem to have dominated East Harling in Norfolk (FreeReg again). I have found at least three generations of parish clerks so far.

No one else got Rust's?

Comment

they need coordinators for almost all of my counties. buti find familysearch is better. and most of the time when i cant find recoeds there, the registers hadnt been around for long
                                    :p

Comment

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                                      they need coordinators for almost all of my counties. buti find familysearch is better. and most of the time when i cant find recoeds there, the registers hadnt been around for long
                                      :p
                                      Family search hardly has anything for Suffolk or Norfolk. That is why Freereg is so good as they seem to be covering these counties, well Norfolk anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                      X