Dates for these photo please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dates for these photo please

I have been told this photo is of my husband's great grandmother born 1857 (on the left) & her daughter born 1889 (centre)

The next photo is also said to be the lady born in 1857 but I wonder if it could be her mother born in 1822 who died in 1906

Pamela

ist one 1920?her daughter looks about 21,s2nd one yes could be the same person,brenda xxx

Comment

The first photo is confusing to me as the young woman's clothes suggest within the five years before WW1, or if anything slightly earlier, which fits well with the dob you gave. However the other two ladies seem to be wearing very outdated dresses - they look late 1890's to me.....perhaps their best clothes were quite old? After all, I have things in my wardrobe still being worn 20 years after they were purchased! lol

Not sure about the other photo except to say the subject does look very much like the left lady in the first picture.

Comment

Does either photo have the name or address of the photographer's studio ?

Or anything useful on the back ?

If they are in postcard format and there's a dividing line to separate the address and message then that would date them as 1902 onwards

~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Thanks for your replies. I don't know if there is anything useful on the backs of the photos as they were e-mailed to me by a cousin.
          From your replies the first photo could be taken in 1910 which was when the girl in the centre got married. If the second was the same lady then it would be taken in the 1930s - she died aged 78 in 1935.
          I don't suppose the family were well off. They moved from being ag labs in Norfolk to being ironstone miners in Yorkshire so maybe no money for new dresses.
          Pamela

Comment

I doubt that the second picture was taken in the 1930's as the studio decor and the focus and resolution all suggest a much earlier date. I would think it predates the first one.
            Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

Comment

The next photo is also said to be the lady born in 1857 but I wonder if it could be her mother born in 1822 who died in 1906
              I think what is confusing about the second photo is that the chair and the painted studio background smack of the 1870's/1880's, but the woman's dress doesn't seem to fit that - it looks later....however, if the photo was taken in the 1880's than the age of the lady coud fit with the 1822 birth - I would have put her age at about 60. I wonder if it's the loose style of her dress that's putting me off?

Comment

Just had another look at this photo & it looks like it could have been taken at same time as the second photo. He is OH's great grandfather born 1855.

now restored
                Last edited by Harroder; 25-08-08, 17:21.
                Pamela

Comment

pamela why dont you have the photo restored ,by darksecretz? brenda xxx
                  Last edited by Guest; 24-08-08, 22:07.

Comment

Hi, the second photo is I think probably 1920s by her clothes, I'm sure it's not pre ww1. The 1st photo is a bit more difficult as none of the ladies seem to be wearing clothes that would fit the possible date.

Comment

Working...
                    X