I think I've made a breakthrough!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think I've made a breakthrough!

All thanks to Margaret's reminder about Free Reg, do you think I am right?

I had been stuck with my gg grandfather Samuel Clarke's family. He names his father on his marriage cert, as Charles Clarke, labourer, but I was unable to find a baptism for him with the right father. Samuel was born c1815 in Great Ellingham, Norfolk. I did find a submitted entry on Familysearch for a Samuel born c1822, with parents Charles Clarke & Mary Kerrison, however this was clearly a different Samuel who I managed to trace through the census, living in Great Ellingham. I did find a baptism for Samuel 26/2/1815 to Elizabeth Clarke & also her burial the same day. So I wondered if Charles had possibly been her brother & had brought up Samuel, whilst also having a son called Samuel himself. However, I was unable to find baptisms for Charles (c1766) or Elizabeth (c1780)

When I read that FreeReg is good for Norfolk, I had a look & found a baptism for Elizabeth Clarke, in Great Ellingham in October 1779 to Thomas Clarke & Judith. I then found other baptisms, Anne 1759, Samuel 1763, Charles 1766, Joseph 1769 & Hannah 1771, mother listed as Juda & Jemima 1775 whose mother was listed as Judith. I think that I have found my family! I found a marriage for Thomas & Judith in 1758 in Great Ellingham & when I checked the other Samuel's marriage, he also listed his father as Charles Clarke labourer!

Do you think I've made a breakthrough?
    Lynn

It sounds like it Lynn.

I'm not sure what are worst - Norfolk families or Samuel Clarkes! (I have 3 in a row of them)

I also found Margaret's mention of Freereg a big help with my Norfolk lot (OHs actually)

Even Pilgrim married Ellen Porter in Norfolk in 1848, and then appeared to run off with her cousin, Susan, 6 years later.
    I've found Ellen & Susan's baptisms - and their respective fathers, which proves their relationship. There are 6 death certificates I can send for now - Ellen's parents and maternal granparents, and Susan's parents.....which reminds me, there's a Canadian site I need to look at again....
    Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Glad you have both made progress thanks to Freereg.

I have been working on my Rust line for 3 days and still not finished. I am lucky that they stayed in East Harling, Norfolk mostly. I went back two generations, tied a family in I already had information about and am now filling the info out through the census records.

Great stuff

I've sent to two death certs as well. Too far back for anymore.
      Last edited by Margaret in Burton; 21-08-08, 22:29.

Comment

My Norfolk family are fine - apart from various Adam Dunts who don't want to fit in anywhere!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Have to say I love my Norfolk families as the records are so detailed. Not so fond of the 700 odd parishes. Even when I think I've looked everywhere, there's still another parish to search.
          Phoenix - with charred feathers
          Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

I have to say that some of the Norfolk records have been good, giving dates of birth as well as baptism, but not for the family member that I have been looking for :(

Clarke does seem to be a popular name in Norfolk, but there seem to be too many co incidences for them not to be the same family. It is nice when my theory seems to have been proved right.
            Lynn

Comment

Helen, where are your Pilgims from? I have Pilgrims in the Attleborough/Old Buckenham area.

Comment

Heather, the Pilgrims were in Besthorpe, but I think the first one I have gives Old Buckenham as his place of birth on the 1851 census - that was Maurice Pilgrim.
                Ellenor settled in Attleborough after her husband left - some of his siblings were there.
                Helen

http://www.familytreeforum.com/wiki/...enSmithToo-296

Comment

Woo hoo, we are probably related. Have pmd you but I live in the area and Besthorpe/Attleborough are literally on the same road, blink and you pass from one to the other. Ditto Old Buckenham a couple of miles on.

Ive got this very vague memory of finding an Evan in Canada with the wifes sister??

LOL, just checked the freereg for my GGPX5 marriage and GGFX5's name has been mistranscribed: Should read Horstead although it looks like Horstade in the PRs

Marriages 15 Aug 1733 NORSTADE John Norfolk Great Ellingham Bride Surname
                  Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 22-08-08, 22:17.

Comment

:( Heather, why aren't you related to me?
                    Lynn

Comment

I have absolutely no information for you, just thought I would congratulate you on your excellent choice of footbal team !

Comment

Thanks Jane
                        Lynn

Comment

It is very encouraging to know that some of you on here are finding results due to the work of FreeReg.

Just a quick reminder though, please check the actual registers for yourselves - mistakes happen.

Carole

FreeReg transcriber
                          CAROLE : "A CHIP OFF THE OLD BLOCK"

Comment

Working...
                          X