1911 census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census

Sorry if you already know this but I have just received a newsletter from Find my Past and this is what it said about the 1911 census

Findmypast.com, in association with the National Archives, will be managing the launch of the 1911 census, in 2009. This mammoth project is underway at this very moment.

Welcome to the official 1911 Census website will be the first, and for a time the only place to access the 1911 census online.
    GWEN

Guess who just signed up lol!
    Suppose that means at least another years subscription

Comment

Well that's decided it for me I'm not going to redo Ancestry with their stupid prices and how much they think they can get away with. Find my past is going to be my new one

Comment

Is it just the England and Wales census that starts in 2009.

I'm desperate for Scotland????

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

It does say that the release will be staggered with sensitive data held back (whats the bets this will be the info everyone wants) full public access isn't going to happen until January 2012.

The Scottish 1911 census will be released..... if I remember correctly.... in Spring if 2011 this is because the laws re; freedom to information are different in Scotland.
          With Experience comes Realisation

Comment

with sensitive data held back
            I think that's anything in the disabilities column. Mind you, I wonder if they will exclude info written in that column even when it should be in the nextdoor column? On the censuses already released that's the place of birth info........

Comment

They haven't got the full 1901 census on there yet only 2 counties, Gloucester and Somerset.
              I expect the 1911 will be the same, I county at a time and my sub will have run out by the time my counties get on there.:( have just renewed. Still it is the best site I think.
              Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Surely it will have to be avaiable as a pay-per-view, otherwise this is effectively restricting the information to people who can afford a FMP sub!

As this census is being released under the Freedom of Info Act, it has to be available to everyone, otherwise it is going against the spirit of the law which got it released early.

OC

Comment

IMPORTANT UPDATE!

The 1911 census is to be released on a dedicated site. You can register now at

Welcome to the official 1911 Census website.

It doesn't say HOW MUCH, yet, but I expect it to be ppv.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                    IMPORTANT UPDATE!

It doesn't say HOW MUCH, yet, but I expect it to be ppv.
                    Welcome to Deja Vu land (see the first post) :D:D
                    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC
                      .... and also on FindmyPast.

Taken from OC's link:
                      Scotland Online's genealogy subsidiary Find My Past will be making the census available online through a dedicated website at 1911census.co.uk, as well as through its own site at findmypast.com.
                      Elaine

Comment

Reading through it will be available on Find My Past as well as the dedicated site, another reason to consider FMP against Ancestry.
                        Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to duplicate the first post, I meant that it would be available on a dedicated site as well as FMP!

(But I didn't say that - I know!)

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Vivienne View Post
                            Reading through it will be available on Find My Past as well as the dedicated site, another reason to consider FMP against Ancestry.
                            I do wish FMP would hurry up and get 1851 and the rest of the 1901 as I can't afford a sub to both and couldn't do without those censuses! (well, not now we have them! lol). I wonder what Ancestry will do when that happens, as I should think a lot of people would think of changing over...........

Comment

I'm sure ancestry will get the 1911 as soon as they are allowed to.
                              KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                              (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

That could be years away though, Kate.

The 1901 wasn't given up for grabs until very recently (when GR bought it, lol).

OC

Comment

Well, the "official 1901 site" was bought by GR, yes, but ancestry and other sites were allowed to index the 1901 census and make it available to view on their sites years ago, can't remember how long after the launch of the official 1901 site that was exactly.
                                  KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                  (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

signed up thankyou brenda xxx

Comment

Sorry, I didn't mean to duplicate the first post, I meant that it would be available on a dedicated site as well as FMP!

(But I didn't say that - I know!)

OC
                                      It's all the same really isn't it. The dedicated site belongs to FMP anyway.
                                      Daphne

Looking for Northey, Goodfellow, Jobes, Heal, Lilburn, Curry, Gay, Carpenter, Johns, Harris, Vigus from Cornwall, Somerset, Durham, Northumberland, Cumberland, USA, Australia.

Comment

No, that's not how I read it. I read it that the dedicated site is owned jointly by FMP in the guise of Scotland's thingy, and TNA.

TNA will presumably have to approve the method of access and the charging, so that the site is not for the exclusive use of FMP subscribers.

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X