• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• elimination help please

I'm really struggling with my 'hill' line

i can't pinpoint them on the 1901 cencus

The details I have are from a wedding cert these are as follows:

Date: January 1914 Burton upon trent register office

Groom: George Hill middle name has been missed out and Henry has been added and in (25) added above name

Age 24 years profession Agricultural labourer - twenty five written on the right hand side of cert with registrars initials.

Residence: 83 coppice side, Church Gresley (i know this to be the brides residence) so no help there.

Fathers name and profession Henry Hill Agricultural labourer.

When I do a search on ancestry George Hill born 1889, father Henry it gives me 14 returns, There is only one Henry Hill agricultural labourer that i can see would it be possible for someone to take a look and see if i'm on the right track.
    thanks in advance

Church Gresley is where please?
    Jess

Comment

sorry, Church Gresley is Burton upon trent but this is the brides residence also and I know that the brides family lived there, so George could have come from anywhere in the country

Comment

Who were the witnesses to the marriage?

Comment

When I do a search on ancestry George Hill born 1889, father Henry it gives me 14 returns
          The problem is he may not have been exactly 24 when he married and his age might not have been exactly right in 1891 and/or 1901. As you say, he could have come from anywhere (glad you said that really, as many people insist their rellies must have come from the area they married in when the time frame crosses the 1901 census in the way yours does.)

I think you may have to find another way to approach this.......just trying to think what.....It's riskly to say his birth reg must have had the middle name, though that might eliminate some of the George's you have found with father Henry on Ancestry! Do you know if he fought in WW1?

Comment

The witnesses are both the brides family they are her brother and sister

Comment

sorry Merry Montgomery I missed your post as I was typing

Yes George Hill served in world war I and he lost his leg but I can't find anything relevant, but then I'm not the greatest at searching

Comment

Would have thought he might have a pension record then? Don't have time to look now! I think you really need to investigate lots post the marriage in case something comes along to make life easy, before you plunge in to the census years. Don't suppose you or anyone else knows if he had any brothers or sisters?

Comment

i've ben through the pension records and I can't find anything relevant, not knowing where he is from doesn't help things either, I've been told he had no family, but that in itself may not be true as they moved to Meriden, Warwickshire and family contact may have just dwindled. I thought I had hit the jackpot with the 1901 cencus with the kidderminster 'hill' family as they are the only henry and george listed as agricultural labourers, but I don't want to jump to any conclusions and be getting it totally wrong

Comment

An uphill struggle. Sorry!

You may have to wait till 1911 when you can find him with his bride. I can't think of any other ideas at the moment.
                    ~ with love from Little Nell~
                    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

My maternal lines have been so easy to do they have such unusual sur names that it really wasn't a challenge. This is obviously going to be more of a challenge, I don't think the 1911 cencus will help me either, he didn't marry untill 1914 and had his first child in 1917. I'm well and truly stumped.

Comment

Originally posted by No shoes View Post
                        sorry, Church Gresley is Burton upon trent but this is the brides residence also and I know that the brides family lived there, so George could have come from anywhere in the country
                        Just a quick correction here.

Church Gresley is in Burton on Trent Registration district. It is not in Burton on Trent. It is actually in South Derbyshire close to Swadlincote.

Just pointing that out, as putting Burton or Staffordshire in the census search could throw up totally the wrong info.

Debbie
                        I will have a think about this. Brain not working as yet been doing ho***work

i'm trying to think if there may be anything in Burton library to help you.

Comment

I reckon, and I'm jumping to conclusions here, that it's the one in Curdworth.

His father, Henry, is an Ag Lab.

If so, his birth is registered in Aston in Mar 1890. No middle name though.

Not sure how you'd prove it was him though :o
                          Tracy

Comment

Debbie

Do you know what regiment he was in in WW1?

Comment

just remembered, don't know where this has come from and i don't even know if it's true,
                              he must have had a brother as his brother died in world war I, and should be on a memorial in Coleshill or Marston Green, i can't remember, why can't we remember the things we were told as very young children.

Margaret I have no idea what regiment he would have been in

Orange blossom the curdworth one is a deffinate possibility cudworth I think is Coventry

I'm just off to google war memorials see if i can find any clues

sorry the curdworth one is Sutton Coldfield
                              Last edited by No shoes; 21-08-08, 15:46. Reason: because I went cencus blind not knowing where curdworth was

Comment

I might be confusing myself George's son Charles Hill died in the 2nd world war and it might be him i remember being told about being on the war memorial. I wish I had a relative to ask.

Comment

Actually Burton library will be a none starter. Anything like parish registers for that part of Derbyshire will be at the Derbyshire County Record Office in Matlock.

Where was the child born who was born in 1917?

Comment

Hi Margaret,
                                    the children were born in Meriden, Warwickshire I haven't ordered any of their birth certs as I know the address of where they were born but I was surprised the area was classed as Meriden at that time because to me it's no where near Meriden and I was born around the corner from there and only ever knew it as Marston Green, Warwickshire.

Another thought if the wedding cert has been amended twice for the correction of age from 24 to 25 then I was thinking maybe George had not long turned 25 so if he married in the January his birthday may have been just before the January wedding. I really am clutching at straws here.lol

Anyway i've got to go out later and I've got a funeral to go to in the morning so will have to sign out soon, but I just wanted to thank everyone that has taken an interest, you've all been so kind, It's been nice being able to post somewhere and have other people's thought on this.
                                    greatly appreciated
                                    Last edited by No shoes; 21-08-08, 15:44.

Comment

Another thought if the wedding cert has been amended twice for the correction of age from 24 to 25 then I was thinking maybe George had not long turned 25
                                      Oh, I thought you were meaning correction number 25 was the amendment to his name (adding the Henry). Surely if there were two corrections to the cert then the other correction would be number 24 or 26? (Having said that, I've never seen a cert with two corrections! lol)

Comment

its got two corrections on one is the addition of the middle name Henry and the other is the age from 24 to 25. He must have used the middle name as its on his daughters wedding certificate as well.

and i've still not signed out so that I can get ready to go out tonight.lol
                                        this is sooo addictive

Comment

Working...
                                        X