Harveys of Smethwick Staffordshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harveys of Smethwick Staffordshire

Hi there everybody, am wondering if any one can help me please find out anything to do with this family as this is all I can seem to find
    James Harvey born 1820
    Elizabeth Harvey born 1821
    James Harvey born 1840
    Jane Harvey Born 1848
    Joseph Harvey born 1850
    Thomas Harvey born 1853
    Richard Harvey born 1855
    Charles Harvey born 1857
    John Harvey born 1858
    any additional info on this would be really appreciated John born 1858 is my great grandfather

What is tha you have found? Is it a census return? if so, what year?

There are 17 Richard Harvey's in Staffs in 1861 - cant see one in Smethwick though.....Hang on, they are in Harborne

With what seems to be James Mother- he's not there though

Elizabeth 78 Head
    Elizabeth 41 Sons wife Born Newcastle, Northumberland
    Charles 5
    John 3
    Joseph 11
    Richard 7
    Thomas 9
    William 14

all the chidren are born Smethwick.

1851 gives a bit more insight into who came from where.

Elizabeth 30 Newcastle, Northumberland
    Elizabeth 67 Mother, born Helston Cornwall
    James 31 head- born Poplar, Middlesex
    James 11 Poplar, Middlesex,
    Jane 3 Smethwick
    Joseph 1 Smethwick
    Mary Ann 8 Poplar, Middlesex, England
    William 5 Smethwick
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 21-08-08, 06:52.
    Jess

Comment

Hi Jess

the facts I have above were from the 1881 Census the only other facts I know is that John born 1858 got married in New Zealand in 1888 but cant even find out what ship he came out on i would ideally like to somehow find out what happened to them all

Comment

1881 census just has John living with his mother Elizabeth:

74 Wood St, Dudley, Worcester
        Elizabeth HARVEY Head W 60 Newcastle, Northumberland, England
        John HARVEY Son U Male 23 Smethwick, Stafford, England Fitter
        RG11 Piece / Folio 2878 / 142 Page Number 32
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

this is The National Archives research leaflet on ship's passengers lists:

Detecting your browser settings

Comment

Joseph is in Kingswinford with wife Mary Ann and 5 children

RG12; Piece: 2307; Folio 104; Page 24

Comment

Thomas with wife Mary Ann (another!) and daughter Beatrice also in Kinswinford and same page as Joseph

RG12; Piece: 2307; Folio 104; Page 24

Comment

Originally posted by dizzliz View Post
                the facts I have above were from the 1881 Census the only other facts I know is that John born 1858 got married in New Zealand in 1888 but cant even find out what ship he came out on i would ideally like to somehow find out what happened to them all
                Have you looked at the NZ newspaper site? They sometimes have immigrant lists.

Papers Past

There may be other ideas on the Wiki.

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Dear dizzliz

I have a lot of details on the Harvey family, from family documents and information from my mother. James Harvey, was my great great great grandfather. I think that he was born in August 1819, and married Elizabeth Miller in Poplar in July 1839 (though the marriage certificate implies over 21). Your children dates look to be about right from what I know, though you have omitted William Harvey born in about 1846 or 1847, who was my my gggf).

William Harvey's wife was Sylvia Malpass. Their son William Harvey (b 9 July 1875) married Annie Clayton in Bradford (though her real name was Anne E Mycock). Their daughter Sylvia Harvey was born on 21 July 1895 in Shipley, and her daughter is my mother.

James Harvey (1820) was a blacksmith, later on becoming an engineer of some sorts, and possibly working an engine. William, my gggf, was an engine driver of some type, and my ggf worked on the railways, starting at the bottom and becoming a railway inspector in due course.

I have little information on James Harvey's parents - I think that his father may have been Joseph Harvey and his mother born Elizabeth HARRAP, her parents being William Harrap and Elizabeth.

I believe that James died sometime in the 1870s and Elizabeth in the 1880s, but I do not have their death certificates.

I would be interested to hear of any further information you can discover about our joint ancestors.

Comment

Martyn, welcome to Family Tree Forum..

I have had a look and Liz hasnt been onsite in a while, if you click on her username (to the left) of one of her posts then you will get an option to PM (private message) her, this may be the better option for you. I hope that you recieve some good results.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                    X