A couple of will questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of will questions

I have just found details of a couple of wills, thanks to the Lincs FHS librarian and I wanted to ask a couple of questions before I send off for them.

Firstly, will the copies I get sent have original signatures of the people involved, ie the will maker & witnesses?

Secondly, both wills are from the 1940's & I would like to work out their values today, £812 5d & £47197.11s

Many thanks
    Last edited by Lynn The Forest Fan; 20-08-08, 21:30.
    Lynn

All the wills I've had have been copies of the originals and have the signatures on.

This site is quite useful for working out the value of money

Measuring Worth - Relative Value of UK Pounds

Jackie
    Jackie

Comment

Thanks Jackie, I will check that out.
      Lynn

Comment

Wow, just checked them out & the 2nd one is worth millions, well more than a million anyway. Sadly she was on hubby's side not mine.
        Lynn

Comment

Most of the post-1858 wills that I have from the probate service are ones that were copied out and don't have the original signatures etc on, but looking through my collection there is one from the 1930's that looks as though it is a copy of the original, so you might be lucky. The ones pre-1858 that I have from record offices are usually photocopies of the originals with signatures.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kate, I will just have to wait & see, I have never sent for a will before so am not sure what to expect. I hope they don't take too long.
            Lynn

Comment

It may depend on the registry they were proved in. The ones I have seen were registered copies. An acquaintance when at First Avenue House was trying to insist on getting the originals, with signatures, but not making any headway.

I have handled original wills in my time, but often they have been neatly copied into will registers.
              Phoenix - with charred feathers
              Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

Originally posted by Night Owl View Post
                All the wills I've had have been copies of the originals and have the signatures on.

This site is quite useful for working out the value of money

Measuring Worth - Relative Value of UK Pounds

Jackie
                Unfortunately such comparison sites are no better than making a wild guess.

When one tries actual figures such as the weekly wage of a skilled craftsman or the price of a loaf of bread the comparison sites are wide of the mark.
                Cheers
                Guy
                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Working...
                X